PDA

View Full Version : pinpoint salinity calibration solution ?

twelvejewelz
10/21/2010, 09:11 PM
I have the pinpoint salinity calibration solution and its almost done. I calibrate my refractometer before i do any water change or before i check my salinity every time i do it so i go through the stuff pretty fast. Im wondering if i mix up some salt water at 35ppt and match it to the pinpoint salinity solution can i just put it in the same bottle then and use this instead of buying a new one? Or will it somehow settle and be off over time? Thanks.

kingfisher62
10/21/2010, 09:24 PM
I don't know . I think salinity is one of the most important water parameters to watch out for. The 6 dollar investment is well worth it.

kingfisher62
10/21/2010, 09:29 PM
To answer your question any crystalization or evaporation of the salt water would throw off the salinity and screw up your calibrations but thats just my opinion.

jason2459
10/21/2010, 09:41 PM
You can make your own standard.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

kingfisher62
10/21/2010, 09:47 PM
OK............................I could be wrong!

Interesting article jason.

twelvejewelz
10/21/2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the article and thanks king. Im going to stick to buying it i guess its not a big deal but i use about a bottle a month so i figured it would be cheaper and as simple as just taking some of my salt mix and matching it to the calibration fluid but its fine. Im not going to go through all of that and ill just order more again. Thanks

disc1
10/22/2010, 09:43 AM
The home-made salinity solution in that article works. I've matched it against a commercial calibration solution on a couple of different refractometers. I would add do it though, if you have a scale, that you weigh the salt AND weigh the water. This recipe is based on weight percent, not volume. While the volume changes with temperature, and can throw off your calculation, weight does not change with temp. For example, with the refractometer standard, use 3.65g morton salt and 96.35g RO/DI.

kingfisher62
10/22/2010, 10:05 AM
Twelvejewelz, To be honest with you I just bought my first bottle of calibration solution I used to use RO/DI but now I am doubting accuracy.

Disc1, What reading will I get if I use that formula? I have an scale that might be accurate to do this.

bertoni
10/22/2010, 02:45 PM
There's a DIY formula that should read 1.0264 on a refractometer. I think the article has three formulae: for refractometers, hydrometers, and conductivity meters, all at 1.0264 SG.