PDA

View Full Version : BRS Pukani Eco Rock! I'm loving it!

Emerald525
10/22/2010, 11:48 PM
Just got a shipment of the BRS Pukani Eco Rock and I'm loving it! Great price and free shipping for over 50 pounds and pest free! It looks great too! Now into the tub for curing! Who doesn't love nice live rock?!!:)

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af36/Emerald525/Juno/DSC06572ARW.jpg

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af36/Emerald525/Juno/DSC06574ARW.jpg

ctrl+f
10/23/2010, 04:43 AM
I love nice live rock; that's why I didn't get dry rock. :spin2:

scapes
10/23/2010, 06:04 AM
I love nice live rock; that's why I didn't get dry rock. :spin2:

Ha! i was thinking the same thing. but yes, BRS has some fabulous dry rock :)

Stuart60611
10/23/2010, 09:47 AM
I have had it now in my display for several years. My aquascape receives the most compliments out of any other feature of my tank. Great rock, and best part is comes hitchhiker free. I have a very heavy bioload and am convinced the porousity of this rock really helps in terms of its effectiveness as a biological filter. I would never do a tank with live rock again.

Emerald525
10/23/2010, 10:13 AM
I love live rock too but you can't beat the price and look of this rock and it has a lot of advantages. I agree the nice thing is I'm not worried about hitchhikers. It's also very porous and lightweight so you get more for your money. The rock pictured above was only 20 pounds! The other problem I am having with some of my live rock I got that was stored for a while is it is full of phosphates and is a hair algae magnet. A clean up crew would help except the triggers would eat a clean up crew.

sowellj
10/23/2010, 10:17 AM
Great looking rock. Never again will I use 'live rock'. Iused their dry rock for my 180. After a few weeks it looks the same minus all of the potential for unwanted species introduction. After a year(s) it is all covered with coral anyway.

maelv
10/23/2010, 10:19 AM
Well one of the best assets to have in this hobby is patience. I agree with Stuart, this kind of dry rock along with the one that Marcorocks sell, are the best bang for your buck. They look good, are light weight, and definitely more lbs for your $$$$. You buy live rock from the LFS and they charge you a hefty amount of money for water logged rock.

All this stuff becomes live with patience and time, and in the end, it does the same thing for a fraction of the price. I filled a 220 with marco rocks several years back and will not buy live rock again. If I am not transferring it from my current tank, I am going dry all the way. :)

Grats on the rock Emerald, it will color up and start doing its thing in NO time. :)

aleonn
10/23/2010, 12:27 PM
Beautiful rock! I wish I got BRS Pukani instead of my BRS Fiji, but I can't complain. To me dry is the way to go :)

JG1
10/23/2010, 12:56 PM
You guys aren't getting algae blooms w/ this rock?

Emerald525
10/23/2010, 01:29 PM
Great looking rock. Never again will I use 'live rock'. Iused their dry rock for my 180. After a few weeks it looks the same minus all of the potential for unwanted species introduction. After a year(s) it is all covered with coral anyway.

Cool! I've used dry rock a bit here and there and have had no problems but this was my first big purchase. You have any pictures when you set it up and what it looks like now?

Well one of the best assets to have in this hobby is patience. I agree with Stuart, this kind of dry rock along with the one that Marcorocks sell, are the best bang for your buck. They look good, are light weight, and definitely more lbs for your $$$$. You buy live rock from the LFS and they charge you a hefty amount of money for water logged rock.

All this stuff becomes live with patience and time, and in the end, it does the same thing for a fraction of the price. I filled a 220 with marco rocks several years back and will not buy live rock again. If I am not transferring it from my current tank, I am going dry all the way. :)

Grats on the rock Emerald, it will color up and start doing its thing in NO time. :)

I would agree it was a good deal and it is nice quality too. I love the look of it! Why pay water weight when in not time it will color up and look great. The other nice thing is it is much easier to store and transfer and doesn't have the smell of partially cured live rock!

I lived in San Antonio for 8 years by the way!

Beautiful rock! I wish I got BRS Pukani instead of my BRS Fiji, but I can't complain. To me dry is the way to go :)

Yeah I saw the Fiji and Tonga too but really like the look of the Pukani and 2.49 a pound and free shipping is incredible!

aleonn
10/23/2010, 04:43 PM
I missed out by a month... last month Pukani was 3.49 or so. Great deal now!!!

cveverly
10/23/2010, 07:00 PM
You guys aren't getting algae blooms w/ this rock?

I used it also and no algae bloom. I did get a finger full of glass like splinters. I assume it was from an old bristleworm.

sowellj
10/24/2010, 10:43 AM
No algae to speak of maybe a bit diatoms on the sand bed. When I started this tank, I wanted to try something different and went with a full zeo tank, including using their methodology to cycle a tank. The basic approach I used was to start w/dry rock and innoculate the system with bacteria. It went very smoothly and would/will do this for future tanks as well. An additioanl benefit of using all dry rock is it makes aquascaping much easier. For this I used 1/4 acryllic rods, zip ties, and a hammer drill. I was able to dry fit pieces with the dry rock where as this would have been a bit more difficult with live rock. Having said that, you can't really go wrong with either approach and it just sort of depends on where you want to go with the tank.

langtudatinh01
10/24/2010, 10:50 AM
if you go with dry rock only, how do you have the beneficial bacteria for filtration? do you have to put a piece of cured liverock in the tank for the start? thanks.

Stuart60611
10/24/2010, 11:12 AM
if you go with dry rock only, how do you have the beneficial bacteria for filtration? do you have to put a piece of cured liverock in the tank for the start? thanks.

It is already in the system whether as spore attached to sand or something else. If not, all you have to do is buy some microbacter or the like and you will all the bacteria you need to seed the system.

Teremei
12/13/2010, 12:26 PM
I really would like some of their pukani, but money is tight. Hearing about how they had a sale for $2.49 a pound I cannot purchase it at $3.49 a pound. Local reefers sell nice looking LIVE rock for less than that. I guess as someone already said, patience. I'll just wait for it to be on sale again, or to come accross another great deal for local live rock.

James404
12/13/2010, 01:39 PM
I just recently got about 100lbs of pukani from them during the black friday sale, great rock! I got some nice large pieces as you can see:

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af223/TheDJ404/DSC_0314_556.jpg

dublo8
12/13/2010, 01:43 PM
The pukani rock looks great but i ended up buying the brs reef saver rock instead. I must admit that dry rock is totally the way to go. Aquascaping is actually fun instead of being a chore.

Sent from my overpriced phone using Tapatalk

shiloh7
12/13/2010, 02:32 PM
I picked up some pukani rock during the black Friday sale and would agree that it's very nice rock and a good value. Nice and light for the size, and very porous. Although one of the pieces I received ended up being too over-sized for my aquascape.

Teremei
12/13/2010, 02:40 PM
what was the black friday sale? $2.49 a pound? I emailed them and told them if they could match that price they'd have a sale of 100#, otherwise no deal.

James404
12/13/2010, 02:47 PM
what was the black friday sale? $2.49 a pound? I emailed them and told them if they could match that price they'd have a sale of 100#, otherwise no deal.

Well blackfriday everything was 10% off, I had placed a large order of about $2000 worth of stuff so I saved a total of $215 not to mention I earned over 7000 points ($70). Can't beat that!

Teremei
12/13/2010, 03:18 PM
ok so that wouldn't make the pukani $2.49 more like $2.90 or so after bulk 100+. I'm pretty low on money and adamant about this. I told him it's $2.49 or no sale.

nixer
12/13/2010, 03:19 PM
pukani makes for some real interesting scape.

The Velvet Sea
12/13/2010, 04:08 PM
The $2.49/lb sale seems to happen often. I got my pukani for that price during the month long "Rocktober" sale. I bought 65lb, and I'm sure I got a bit more than that. I have a very open aquascape in my 75gallon and I didn't even use half of the rock. It is extremely porous and lightweight as everyone has said. It was clearly live rock not long ago and was allowed to die off, so I wouldn't call it "eco friendly" but it was cheap and pest free!

friendlyAlien
01/30/2011, 01:09 PM
Same here, got some pukani rock and some unblievable plates with it. The amount you get for the price is better than any other dry or life rock I tried. Originally I was only planning to use it for a reef wall int he back of the tank but we decided to now use it for the whole aquascaping and just add a pound or two real life rock to seed.

BRS gained a new fan ...

Lynnmw1208
01/30/2011, 01:23 PM
very nice! I was looking into getting some "reef saver" rock from them since it's a lot cheaper and looks very similar to pukani. I missed the sale as well =o( and I may not be able to wait for the next as my tank is not set up yet. I was going to get a small to medium piece of live rock from the LFS, hyposalinity dip it to get rid of unwanted pests, and put it in the tank to start the cycle.

thanks for sharing those pictures tho! It gives me an idea of how many rocks I'll get from ordering 60lbs of rock. I'd like to see the aquascape pics next!:dance:

friendlyAlien
01/30/2011, 01:41 PM
I would be curious whether you actually save money with the reef saver rock. Pukani is so light I bet it makes up for the price in volume.

Post pictures when you get it so we can compate!