PDA

View Full Version : Any divers ever get this?

Versus
10/23/2010, 08:57 PM
Was getting some stone crabs , east cost of FL by cocoa. Felt a slight sting on the back of my leg. "ok", I thought, a tent came off a jelly and hit the back of my knee no big deal. Nothing happened for a whole day, was a lil itchy, very small pink dot.

another day passes, this is kinda itchy.. *looks back down* its been getting slight worse over the course of a week. Its not the size of a dollar, swollen *swollen good, were its almost wrinkly in the folds of my knee* Red with purple blotches the size of a dollar. (the purple is more like a dark red) Its a rash thats formed on itself its not spread out nor is it "blister, puss etc" I will prolly go to the docs monday but what gives?

Has anyone gotten a large super itchy rash that looks like the top of Gorbachevs head?

cur10u5g30rg3
10/25/2010, 05:45 AM
Did you try the topical treatment/neutralizers? I haven't ever had anything like that but I would be curious to know what the doc says for future reference.

Versus
10/25/2010, 09:10 AM
Yeah I tried Cortaide and Benadryl creams, the B helped a lil with the itch but thats it. I have an apt. at 4 so I am going to see what he says.

Oh and Im switching to lightweight full pants now heh, no thanks to shorts.

slapshot
10/25/2010, 04:13 PM
Yep, my daughter did but it was from fire coral. You might try taking some Benadryl orally. Hers lasted almost a month. If the Benadryl doesn't help then maybe go see a skin doc. They have some good prescription topical lotions. Something got you good.

Versus
10/25/2010, 04:49 PM
Well he said he has not seen anything like it, So some steroid cream and biotics then a follow up in a few days. there is a chance I will have to go to a dermatologist and his own words was that it was very confusing what I had.

the purple swelling has gone away but its been spreading and now "leaking" At least the rock crab was good right? :/

Caton
10/26/2010, 07:47 PM
Pee on it :D

philter4
10/27/2010, 07:57 AM
I don't know if this is it, but there are things called sea lice, which are actually larvea of a type of jellyfish and they cause this itchy rash if you are allergic or have sensative skin. Places like the back of the knee is a very sensative area and can easily be stung worse then your arms or other parts of your legs. The other thing about sea lice is they are sensative to different things, for instance if there are a lot of them and they get caught between your wetsuit and skin they sting worse then just coming in contact with them in the water. Also if you get out of the ocean and rinse in a freshwater shower the ones that are still on your skin or wetsuit sting worse then any other situation so if they are there in swarms try to remove your wetsuit or shirt and rinse in the shallow shore water before you clean off at the freshwater showers. Again I don't know if that is what it was, there are lots of things that can sting in the ocean, but they are very common and cause a rash when you come in contact with them.

Versus
10/28/2010, 01:42 AM
I'll have to get some pictures up tomorrow night. Was looking bad again yesterday, It kind of chooses what it wants to do from day to day. Today it was a deep purple (a weird purple) and pretty swollen. Was unfortunate the doctor wasnt sure what it was but at least the cream he gave me has helped the itch/soreness

somosomo
10/28/2010, 04:56 AM
I had something similar a few years ago. A small hole in the back of my calf after scuba diving in Fiji. A doctor put me on antibiotics and after three days the swelling had gone down a litle but did not subside completely. My dad smeared this stuff called bag balm on it..its for dairy cows when their udders get blocked up or something like that..(dont ask me why he travels with it) The swelling drained within 30 minutes and the infection was completely gone in 24 hours. I am sure the antibiotics were part of it but the cream draws liquid to the skins surface. I swear by it now.

rcoughtrey
10/28/2010, 10:04 AM
I was on a drive in St Lucia a few years back when fire coral got me. What made it worse was the tablets they gave me made me photosynthetic to the sun. Meaning I looked like a red lobster for the rest of my trip LOL

gjh289
10/28/2010, 08:28 PM
If you were stung by a Jelly or other protein based sting then try meat tenderizer. It must have papain as the main active ingredient. Some swear by it some same it doesn't do a thing. I was stung bad across the face and side of the head and the itch was driving me insane. To be honest it helped. Not 100% but it did help enough to take the edge off.

reefWW96
10/30/2010, 03:02 PM
Im thinking maybe mycobacterium sp. my dad had it, it's a nasty infection so make sure you get rid of it.

gregmoeck
11/02/2010, 05:48 AM
lionfish ?

gp2
11/02/2010, 06:11 AM
Post some pics, the tissue sounds necrotic but I cannot tell from your description

Versus
01/06/2011, 08:57 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/SyndicateD3/IMG_04341.jpg

Took 4 1/2 weeks to heal, this is when it was starting to get a lil better before it was a dark purple you can see the upper side of my leg and how swollen it is.

Doctor had no clue he hadnt seen a jelly sting like it.

jomskie_ad
01/06/2011, 10:05 PM
if its from a jelly fish, try vinegar

chimmike
01/07/2011, 08:57 AM
agreed with meat tenderizer, but i doubt that was a jellyfish sting.

Were you in the river or one of the inlets? If you were in the banana or indian river, could've easily been bacteria

(I grew up in Satellite Beach)

Versus
01/07/2011, 02:19 PM
I was put on antibiotics and triamcinolone acetonide (no sting areas were left but i did feel a sting) I was in sebastien inlet on the was side getting lobster/crab claws/flounder. (I grew up in parrish in river wilderness :) next to paul azinger)

I hope whatever it was it never happens again, the purple area was swollen with in itself and I assume it was bacteria also. Ive been stung by fire coral, all sorts of jellys etc but nothing left a rash like this. Im glad it went away

chimmike
01/07/2011, 03:05 PM
you know, funny thing, I was at Sebastian in November and a guy was snorkeling (during a FAST tide) along the rocks getting stone crabs.

I wouldn't be surprised if maybe it was a lionfish?

If you were in the main channel, too much flow there for bacteria and stuff, maybe some sort of vicious jellyfish.

Pretty funny. My neighbor's parents live in River Wilderness now. I've seen Paul Azinger on the road too, he has a new GTR, haha.

Versus
01/07/2011, 06:05 PM
No hole or mark or anything and was fine for a few days (ive been hit by little dwarfs before and this just felt like a paper cut in salt water all of a sudden) , I guess I will never really know, just glad it went away. (skin is slightly discolored but it would have been worse)

-I still go to parrish/palmetto to go to north river dent but thats about it, the place has grown so much since I was a kid I get lost easily (when rw opened NOTHING was there, even when that outlet mall opened years later no one ever even went to it because the population at the time didnt care for it)

Figures he would be driving a gtr :lolspin: , we still send xmas cards back and forth but thats about it. Oddly enough I saw a GTR down there when I went one time, maybe it was his.

There is a guy that is always going for claws there but the boaters are just starting to get a little crazy in the area and due to money ive opted to sticking to fishing the lagoon and northern irl

Cj923
01/07/2011, 08:17 PM
Wow that rash looked bad

gp2
01/08/2011, 08:43 AM
Was definitely not a sting. Some sort of cellulitis, ie infection. Looks like strep, doubt it's staph. There are a couple of bacteria native to salt water but don't remember them off the top of my head. What abx, and how long until it started receding would let you know which bacteria (not that it matters ;)

chimmike
01/22/2011, 04:25 PM
No hole or mark or anything and was fine for a few days (ive been hit by little dwarfs before and this just felt like a paper cut in salt water all of a sudden) , I guess I will never really know, just glad it went away. (skin is slightly discolored but it would have been worse)

-I still go to parrish/palmetto to go to north river dent but thats about it, the place has grown so much since I was a kid I get lost easily (when rw opened NOTHING was there, even when that outlet mall opened years later no one ever even went to it because the population at the time didnt care for it)

Figures he would be driving a gtr :lolspin: , we still send xmas cards back and forth but thats about it. Oddly enough I saw a GTR down there when I went one time, maybe it was his.

There is a guy that is always going for claws there but the boaters are just starting to get a little crazy in the area and due to money ive opted to sticking to fishing the lagoon and northern irl

hah yeah. There are a couple GTR's around here.

Boaters in the inlet are more crazy than I'd ever seen. More guys with smaller boats than I'd dare in that current. The mouth to the river was swollen with boats. Must've been at least 3-4 dozen that day. Insane. Takes one guy to drive/maintain position so the other guy can fish and not hit anyone.