PDA

View Full Version : Trouble reading PH test kit

Kamel
10/23/2010, 09:15 PM
I don't know if this is just me, the test kits I use, or what, but I'm having the worst trouble reading some of my tests.

This is a red sea ph kit that comes as part of the marine lab kit.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/5108854615_299b283999_z.jpg

Any ideas? I don't think it's "off the charts" or anything, and the directions are simple, rinse test tube with saltwater to be tested, fill to 6ml, then add 3 drops of ph testing solution and shake. The pictures are purple, and the test results look blue.

sowellj
10/23/2010, 09:33 PM
I think it is fine. pH is one of those parameters that I don't think is super critical to worry about. If your alk is in line and stable, your pH will typically fall in line.

Kamel
10/23/2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks, would still like to know where I stand lol. At least my alkalinity test is pretty idiot proof. At 10 atm, which I'm very satisfied with.

HighlandReefer
10/24/2010, 06:48 AM
I think it is fine. pH is one of those parameters that I don't think is super critical to worry about. If your alk is in line and stable, your pH will typically fall in line.

+1.

I would not worry about your pH using the kits. They tend to be off considerably when compared to a properly calibrated pH meter.

If your concerned, I would purchase a reasonable quality two point calibrating pH meter which you can purchase for between $50.00 - $100.00 ;)

bertoni
10/24/2010, 01:57 PM
Unless a fair amount of a high-pH supplement has been added, I suspect the pH isn't a critical issue, but I might invest in another kit or a meter. In the end, I much prefer using a meter. I have no idea what that color means with that test kit.

cmor1701d
10/24/2010, 02:42 PM
Liquid pH kits are always going to read higher than a meter. I've compared API and Salifert (2 of the easier to read kits) to a Pinpoint meter. The liquid test agree with each other (8.3) while the meter reads at 7.95 - 8.0.

I called Pinpoint and had a conversation with the owner. He assured me that if the meter is properly calibrated then the meter is correct and the liquid test kits are off He said that is typical for the liquid test kits.

As others have said, if the other parameters are in the proper ranges then don't worry about it. pH flutuates during the day, lowest before lights on, highest before lights out.