PDA

View Full Version : DIY LED setups - splash guards/shields

chrisfowler99
10/24/2010, 03:36 PM
What are people doing?

I figure a 1/16" acrylic sheet over the LEDs/optics, but that leads to a few questions:

How are you attaching it?
Does it protect only from the bottom or does it have sides?
If it has sides, what about air flow?

Trying to get some ideas

mike_cmu04
10/24/2010, 09:19 PM
I have just a thin acrylic sheet screwed into wood blocks about a inch under the led's there is no sides.

Jamesus
10/24/2010, 09:37 PM
I don't have anything, but mine are a foot above the water.

Chrisrush
10/25/2010, 07:14 AM
Hey Chris, let me know when you start your LED build. I'd like to see a few modules built. I'm in G-town as well.

chrisfowler99
10/25/2010, 07:51 AM
Hey Chris, let me know when you start your LED build. I'd like to see a few modules built. I'm in G-town as well.

Will do. Are you on Austin Reef Club? I'll probably track it in my "blog" over there.

XSiVE
10/25/2010, 08:02 AM
heres a shot of my rig during initial testing, its about the best pic I have of the shield, It's 1/8" acrylic hanging there from some L-channel aluminum.

http://ryanensminger.com/gallery/d/4549-2/Step-18-hanging-powered.jpg

these hang about a foot above the water and they still show signs of occasional splashing so Im glad I have them.

chrisfowler99
10/25/2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks XSiVE. That's the kind of thing I was hoping to see.

XSiVE
10/25/2010, 08:45 AM
glad to help. I designed mine with L-channel on one end and nothing on the other so it slides to a stop on one side, and can be easily pulled in and out from the other if I want to adjust optics or something else quick.

ryshark
10/25/2010, 09:28 AM
heres a shot of my rig during initial testing, its about the best pic I have of the shield, It's 1/8" acrylic hanging there from some L-channel aluminum.

http://ryanensminger.com/gallery/d/4549-2/Step-18-hanging-powered.jpg

these hang about a foot above the water and they still show signs of occasional splashing so Im glad I have them.

This is a great idea! Out of curiosity, is it ok to put the acrlyic right up against the optics.... almost to help hold them in? I hear the XP-G optics don't secure all that well. I know with this technique you couldn't use the cool L-Channel quick optic change idea.

XSiVE
10/25/2010, 09:48 AM
I wouldnt see a problem placing the acrylic directly in contact with most optics but I also would not use this as the sole method to hold an XP optic on, they literally dont stay on at all without something sticking them in place.

ryshark
10/25/2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I will throw a little adhesive on there when I build this thing. What did you use to cut your acrylic?