PDA

View Full Version : Help with ro/di system

mcosta528
10/24/2010, 05:17 PM
Okay i am going to buy a RO/DI system. I don't under stand what the "needs" and "wants" are for getting one. I read a "newbie" forum and still don't get the concept (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-10/newbie/index.php). I would like to know from this site what filter is actually necessary and the effects of buying the cheaper units featured here: http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm

I need both RO and DI, i live in jersey so chloramines can be a factor. Any suggestions for the cheapest/most effecient unit here? Or any other affordable suggestions from use of other systems?

lordofthereef
10/24/2010, 05:29 PM
I am a little confused how you are asking in the first part of your post for people to explain what an RO unit is while later you are telling us you need RO and DI. Seems to me like you either know what it is or you don't? The filter guys units are great. Basically, they are not a huge brand name, so they sell for cheaper. Bulk reef supply is another good low priced option. If your water is bad I would go with a 5 or even siz stage unit. The nice thing about a 6 stage over a 5 is you are able to consume all of your DI resin by alternating the canisters in such a way that 100% of one is exhausted before getting rid of it (in a 5 stage unit you will start to see some TDS "leakage" on 75%-ish of your DI resin is consumed).

mcosta528
10/24/2010, 05:39 PM
Oh i meant that there are alot of "bells and whistles" on units i may not need. So the five stage, since its cheaper, but what does TDS mean... i'm bad on acronyms :(

Bad LS1
10/24/2010, 05:44 PM
The OCEAN REEF + 1 FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI from the Filter Guys is a great unit. That is what I would get as a bare minimum. If you can swing the dual DI unit even better.

hvacman250
10/24/2010, 05:54 PM
TDS= total dissolved solids

mcosta528
10/24/2010, 05:58 PM
is the $135.00 - OCEAN WAVE FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI good enough? besides the TDS leak issue? and also thanks for the total dissolved solids reference, lmao i wouldve never guessed that :)

mcosta528
10/24/2010, 06:00 PM
the filter on the top looks small, the black cartridge is what im referring to. whats the difference between the size of those cartridges? or what does that imply? im clueless. I know the function of ro/di units, but they look like time machines when i see the images :(

mcosta528
10/24/2010, 06:03 PM
oh, nevermind BadSL1 said bare minimum Ocean Wave +1 system :( $200 FML

mcosta528
10/24/2010, 06:04 PM
LFS till i save some cash, maybe a few weeks after the car payments n other bills are done

rayn
10/24/2010, 06:05 PM
I have a brs 5 stage. Came with sediment, 5 micron CTO/2 carbon block, and .6 micron +1 carbon block. Then a single di cannister. Works like a charm. If chloramines are a issue with your water you can build a unit on brs and order what you want. Make sure you get the built in pressure gushed on whatever you buy and test your pressure before you hook it all up. 65+- Pei is recommended. If your low get a booster pump or you'll burn through the di resin.

Brs and I'm sure the others offer multiple hook up methods. Find one that works for you and your placement. Remember, you will waste more water then you get so ha e a good drain or catch basin near by.

mcosta528
10/24/2010, 06:13 PM
i'm gonna do the basement sink, rayn can you point out you system on this link?
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reverse-osmosis-filters-and-systems/reverses-osmosis-deionization-systems

aleonn
10/24/2010, 06:16 PM
I have a brs 5 stage. Came with sediment, 5 micron CTO/2 carbon block, and .6 micron +1 carbon block. Then a single di cannister. Works like a charm. If chloramines are a issue with your water you can build a unit on brs and order what you want. Make sure you get the built in pressure gushed on whatever you buy and test your pressure before you hook it all up. 65+- Pei is recommended. If your low get a booster pump or you'll burn through the di resin.

Brs and I'm sure the others offer multiple hook up methods. Find one that works for you and your placement. Remember, you will waste more water then you get so ha e a good drain or catch basin near by.

+1 on BRS. At this moment I'm running my 5-stage plus 75gpd unit. I had to purchase a booster pump, and I went ahead to upgrade to 150gpd (double the output in half the time).

rayn
10/24/2010, 06:22 PM
i'm gonna do the basement sink, rayn can you point out you system on this link?
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reverse-osmosis-filters-and-systems/reverses-osmosis-deionization-systems

My system is the 75 gpd plus unit. It comes with the pressure guage. Basement sink will work as the BRS units come with about five different hook up styles. Sink, hardline into copper pipe, attach to a shutoff, couple others I can't remember.

Bad LS1
10/24/2010, 06:26 PM
the filter on the top looks small, the black cartridge is what im referring to. whats the difference between the size of those cartridges? or what does that imply? im clueless. I know the function of ro/di units, but they look like time machines when i see the images :(

oh, nevermind BadSL1 said bare minimum Ocean Wave +1 system :( $200 FML

I said bare minimum but I guess I should have asked what size tank you have. The black horizontal filter on the $135.00 - OCEAN WAVE FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI is the DI resin filter. Having a smaller one means less water can be filtered before you have to replace the spent DI resin with new. It also does not come with a pressure gauge (nice to have so you know your water pressure), membrane flush valve (you should back flush your filters after each use), and dual TDS meter (I feel a must have to know if you have any dissolved solids in your filtered water).

mcosta528
10/24/2010, 06:32 PM
I said bare minimum but I guess I should have asked what size tank you have. The black horizontal filter on the $135.00 - OCEAN WAVE FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI is the DI resin filter. Having a smaller one means less water can be filtered before you have to replace the spent DI resin with new. It also does not come with a pressure gauge (nice to have so you know your water pressure), membrane flush valve (you should back flush your filters after each use), and dual TDS meter (I feel a must have to know if you have any dissolved solids in your filtered water).

Thanks A lot! I have a 34 gallon solana tank, but spending money on another RO system when i want to upgrade my tank would not be desirable. I think the 75 gal plus ones seem like they can come in much more handy.

Bad LS1
10/24/2010, 06:41 PM
Thanks A lot! I have a 34 gallon solana tank, but spending money on another RO system when i want to upgrade my tank would not be desirable. I think the 75 gal plus ones seem like they can come in much more handy.

Yeah it would be nice to buy the bigger unit in case you ever want a larger tank. The cheaper unit would be fine for a 34 gallon tank though. One last note, Having a horizontal DI filter may get a little messy with water spillage when you have to replace your resin. The DI stage is the one you will be messing with the most. The carbon, sediment, RO filters are good for 6000+ gallons while you will get 150+ gallons from your DI. Just something to think about.

mcosta528
10/24/2010, 07:02 PM