PDA

View Full Version : Coral Bandit Help Need Expert Advise.

slapshot
10/24/2010, 05:58 PM
I have had two CBS for 5 years now. One is in my display and the other is in a sump. The one upstairs pretty much runs the tank, doesn't bother anyone but no one...including my two large eels, gives him any crap. The one downstairs just started carrying eggs. The one upstairs never has. I am "assuming" the one upstairs in a male then. Am I asking for trouble if I moved the female upstairs? It would be cool to have them pair up, but I don't want them to fight.

Display is a 150 fulling grown out reef. Lots of hiding places. Thanks in advance

iamwhatiam52
10/24/2010, 06:47 PM
Five years!
I believe that is about as long as any I've heard of.

As for pairing, even under the best of circumstances there can be serious aggression, even to the point of claws being torn off. From what I have read, either can become male or female depending on the need.
I would not try it with one running the tank. The introduced one will be at a serious disadvantage no matter how many hiding places.

slapshot
10/24/2010, 07:01 PM
Ok thanks!!!! Just pictured the two on them hanging out and thought it would be cool.

philter4
10/27/2010, 07:47 AM
As far as I know Stenopus do not change sex, and they are dimophic so they can be visually sexable if you know what to look for. Female Stenopus (the genus of all the species of coral banded shrimp) are bigger and Stenopus hispitus (the coral banded shrimp that is most common in the pet trade) also have a blue tint to the overies so when looking at them from below you can see the light bluish tint in the abdomen where the overies are. The biggest problem with that is young females are smaller, so an individual may be smaller then a larger or older male, and if their overies are not developed they are not tinted.

slapshot
10/27/2010, 07:54 AM
Thank you, Can they be put together if I am sure I have a male and a female? I guess the question is how accepting are they and what is the risk of an all out war. She is for sure carring eggs so I know it is a female. This artical would suggest I could do it. A battle at first followed by pairing.

http://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/bitstream/10125/3366/1/v23n1-40-50.pdf

slapshot
11/13/2010, 12:30 AM
i tried to catch the female and ended up pulling off her claw. I did not want to attempt this with her being defensless so I had to wait until she molted. She molted 2 days ago. I gave her time to toughen up and caught her and tranfered her,

It took only 3 hours for them to find each other. No fighting at all. They not are hanging out together. Now that is cool!:spin1:

slapshot
11/13/2010, 11:07 AM
The happy couple! More free coral food!!

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t74/TSCWB/shrimppair.jpg

slapshot
11/20/2010, 08:03 PM
They have emerged from their honeymoon:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t74/TSCWB/aaaaa10008.jpg

A good example for anyone who wants to sex these guys. The female has the green in her body.