PDA

View Full Version : Jig to create top flange of a sump

yoki32
10/24/2010, 06:33 PM
Hi guys,

I'm at the point of making the top flange of my acrylic sump and I'm trying to find a way of how to do it easily. I am referring to something similar to this http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/diy/flange.html

On this page, he made a custom jig for doing it but I know there must be an easier way to do this...Anyone out there have any other jig ideas on how to do this? I would appreciate your input.

sailoracu2
10/24/2010, 07:07 PM
Melev's jig is the easiest, there are other ways to build jigs to cut acrylic, but the jigs are harder to build if you dont have the equipment.

yoki32
10/24/2010, 07:19 PM
Well, I want this jig to be re-usable and therefore the one that Melev's designed is more or less re-usable since he's nailing or stapling his pieces of MDF. I was thinking of re-usable jib without any nails...Something very quick to adjust and precise. I have all the tools to bluid it but I'm missing the idea. I was thinking of using the concept of a Adjust-A-Square 48-Inch Aluminum Drywall Square but I'm only at the beginning of my thinking...I'm sure there's someone clever out there that could help...

eznet2u
10/24/2010, 07:32 PM
Why not cut a small piece of MDF in the shape of the intended pattern on the top.
Adjust the measurements by the distance of the edge of your router bit to the out side edge of the router.
Double sided tape will hold it in place as you rout around it. Tada!

Hurdicuss
10/24/2010, 09:26 PM
Personally, I prefer my flange (or eurobrace) with radiused corners...

A template is generally preferred method, but another way you could do it would be to stencil out your dimensions on the top piece, then using a hole-saw bit cut out the corners (to give the radiuses), then using a straight edge cut out the sides and ends connecting the holes. Hopefully this makes sense in words, it may be tough to follow 100% but hopefully that helps.

The template would really come in to play when using a router and flush trim bit to cut out the top. Otherwise, the hole-saw bit and circular saw method should work just fine.