PDA

View Full Version : Post-mortem (6-line Wrasse)

JMartin104
10/25/2010, 11:22 AM
I picked up a 6-line Saturday afternoon. 1-hr drip acclimation. He layed on his side during the drip. Put him in the tank where he hid most of the time. I mentioned to my wife how cool his green tail was (on Saturday). Saw him very little on Sunday but noticed a white spot on his tail about the size of the tip of a ball-point pen. Found him Monday morning laying on his side breathing heavy. Sadly he passed. I took him out and noticed he seemed bloated in his anal area. I gently squeezed and there was a puss looking discharge. I think this guy was likely sick the day I got him. Thoughts?

PH: 8.2
Ammo: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 0
PO4: .31
SG: 1.022
Temp: 78-81

isildursbane
10/25/2010, 11:48 AM
I have been reading lately about the need to add new critters in under 30 minutes due to fast pH changes once the xfer bag is opened.

This thread has some discussion on acclimation methods and times/ understand it's related to CUC but still should apply.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1924118

If someone else can post a link on a good thread discussing the current accepted method of acclimating new fish I would like to see that too.

Edit: I am not saying your acclimation method was wrong or that that is why your fish died. It is very likely it was sick at the store. Just wanted to put it out there it might be due to that pH swing thing.

Sorry about your loss :(

Sugar Magnolia
10/25/2010, 11:48 AM
It's possible it was sick when you got him. It could be a number of things, stress, internal parasites, bacterial...who knows. I do see your salinity is a little on the low side. Doubtful that caused the death, but it should be up around 1.024-1.026.

Palting
10/25/2010, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I think you got a sick one from the start. Sorry for the loss.

Not so sure about that 30 minute limit. I transfer all my new livestock into a wide mouthed container and drop acclimate until the water volume is 3x original, and time it to complete in about 1 hour. Have not had any issues.

Dustin1300
10/25/2010, 12:17 PM
I agree he was sick beforehand. Salinity should not be an issue. I treat my fish in QT at 1.009 for 6 weeks and then slowly bring up to 1.025 once ready for the DT so that SG should not be an issue at all.

lordofthereef
10/25/2010, 02:04 PM
There are some pretty big names in the hobby that have said that a death caused by acclimation will happen within hours and not days. Granted a "bad" acclimation can add to the stress level of a fish and not help things, bt if you wanted to call it a direct result of the acclimation you would have seen the fish perish the day you introduced it.

FWIW it isn't uncommon for wrasses to lay on their side like that.

JMartin104
10/25/2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the input! The acclimation time/process was recommended by the LFS. I have heard of the process where you acclimate via temp and then dump in. That's how it was instructed for my CUC.

I think this guy may have already been sick. I'm going to recheck my water and try again.