PDA

View Full Version : Video of my mixed reef

Fishamatank
10/25/2010, 11:34 AM
The tank is really not a blue as it looks in the video, the colors are not quite right.

Click Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gccqrr5cmw4) - HD available.

This started out as a 55 about 1 year ago, then I upgraded to this tank about 6 months ago.

120 Gal brick
7 x 48" T5 on ice cap 660 ballasts
1 Reefbrite LED bar
SRO XP 2000
10 Gal Fuge
RKL
Dosing pumps
ATO w/ Kalk
2 x MP40 - you can see the wave rockin'

Fish:
Yellow tang
blue tang (I know he will probably outgrow the tank)
Flame angel (the problem child)
Mystery Wrasse
2 Green Chromis
Psychedelic Mandarin
Pair of occ. clowns
Blue spotted Jawfish (Richard Dreyfuss - lives in a man made tunnel and seems plenty happy!)

Inverts:
LTA
2 Tiger Conch
3 fighting conch
Red Linkia
2 skunk shrimp
Various snails

Korrine
10/25/2010, 11:43 AM
Nice!! That wave action is pretty cool to!

Fishamatank
10/25/2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks, I really like the nutrient export mode on the ecosmart drivers.

Sugar Magnolia
10/25/2010, 12:08 PM
Love the jawfish!! Is there a reason why you have the flow alternating so quickly?

Fishamatank
10/25/2010, 12:16 PM
That is the frequency of the tank, if I go slower or faster I don't get a wave.
I go back and forth between the mode you see in the video (nutrient export) and reef crest.
What you see in the video is short pulses, but this mode (nutrient export) alternates between short sharp pulses and slow gradual swells, you just don't see that part here.

Fishamatank
10/25/2010, 06:14 PM
anybody else?

floydie83
10/25/2010, 07:45 PM
I like it!

tozzi
10/25/2010, 07:50 PM
The vortechs do make a nice wave, All the fish look comfortable in it too

Pylos
10/26/2010, 12:15 AM
That blue spot looks really great. Might even inspire me to try one someday.

What did you do to entice him to setup home right in the front there?

aleonn
10/26/2010, 02:22 AM
I like the jawfish and his barnacle house!

nd31male
10/26/2010, 02:26 AM
Looks awsome i love it.

Fishamatank
10/26/2010, 06:36 AM
That blue spot looks really great. Might even inspire me to try one someday.

What did you do to entice him to setup home right in the front there?

That's where I put the PVC tunnel. I have only about 1" of sand, not enough for him to make a burrow in so I made one out of 3/4" PVC elbows and a T.
I also put a plastic trough (vinly gutter) in the back corner of the tank with about 4" of mixed sand / crushed coral for him to burrow in, but he only ever tried to get under the gutter and never actually tried burrowing in it. He hung out over there for about a week and then moved to the PVC burrow buried in the sand. He works at keeping sand out of it, and he seems happy enough. I don't really think that he minds that his burrow was built for him.

Korrine
10/26/2010, 06:44 AM
That's a good idea with the jawfish. I've heard about the pvc tunnel before, but it's nice to see it in action. I may try that if I decide to get a jawfish. :thumbsup:

wedwards
10/26/2010, 07:12 AM
Awesome tank!!! I love that size. It will probably be the one I upgrade to when and if I ever upgrade. Keep up the good work!!!

Fishamatank
10/26/2010, 10:42 AM
That's a good idea with the jawfish. I've heard about the pvc tunnel before, but it's nice to see it in action. I may try that if I decide to get a jawfish. :thumbsup:

It took the jawfish quite a while to find the tunnel. He acted pretty stressed for a while with no good hiding place. I don't think it will work 100% of the time. If the fish does not find it he could be in for some problems.

tozzi
10/26/2010, 06:26 PM
It took the jawfish quite a while to find the tunnel. He acted pretty stressed for a while with no good hiding place. I don't think it will work 100% of the time. If the fish does not find it he could be in for some problems.

It helps if you put them in a container with a small hole in the bottom. Then u put the container in your tank with the hole over the burrow. leave it there for a while and they should settle right in