PDA

View Full Version : What softies/LPS are a no-no with SPS?

TonyV
10/25/2010, 01:11 PM
So is there a list of soft corals/LPS corals that are a no-no when trying to get more into a more SPS dominated tank? Someone mentioned that Xenia could be harmful to SPS. Keep in mind, I am not talking about corals touching just simply being in the same tank or close proximity. Had I known what I know now, I would not have ever put Xenia in my tank. Luckily it's on a rock that is marked for removal during a re-landscape. Thanks in advance.

fraggleRocks
10/25/2010, 01:38 PM
Bump, i'd love to know more about this, also.

Frick
10/25/2010, 01:45 PM
Xenia won't sting just smother the SPS. Green Star Polyps (GSP) Can out go almost anything, so stay away from that. As can certain mushrooms.

Galaxia and elegance will need a wide proximity for their stingers to stay in. So not recommended for small tanks.

glennr1978
10/25/2010, 01:54 PM
Leathers if you aren't running carbon. But if you have an SPS tank you probably are so...

TonyV
10/25/2010, 02:08 PM
I do run Carbon and GFO. My tank does have a few mushrooms and a GSP rock but nothing near SPS. I am more concerned with any corals that leach out chemicals/mucus into the water that might be harmful to SPS. Currently I am battling an infestation of Vermetid snails and i know they have a mucus that expells during water changes and cleanings. I have heard that these can be irritating to nearby corals. This setback although it may seem slight has me contemplating on starting over with 100% new rock and corals in a new tank so I don't transfer any over.

menthol
10/25/2010, 07:02 PM
NO leathers, GSP, and ricordea specifically. actinos are okay long as they arent too close. all based IME. Xenias are okay, they dont sting, slime or flat out bother any of my sps, close or far, but i can live without it co'z it spreads like wildfire.