PDA

View Full Version : Best method?

chubby190
10/25/2010, 07:02 PM
My latest set up is literally a 55 show tank, with a 55 gallon filter tank/sump behind it. They're exactly level to each other.

I have a siphon from the show tank to the sump, and a fountain pump from the filter to the show tank.

My issue is that if for some reason I lose siphon, then I have 110 gallons in my 55 gallon show tank--aka a really wet living room. In everyone's experience what is the best method for ensuring the fountain pump only runs up to the highest desired level in the show tank? Is there a float switch or something?

Thanks!

mcgyvr
10/26/2010, 05:20 AM
A siphon basically works by having the water on the exit side lower than the intake side. Your sump needs to be lower than the display tank. Time to rethink your latest setup.

mcgyvr
10/26/2010, 05:25 AM
The only way you could make this work is to drill both tanks around water level an install a straight pipe between both. Then both water levels would be exactly the same and there is no need for a siphon. Pumping water into the display tank causes any extra water to simply drain (or flow is a better word) right back into the sump. Make sure the pipe is large enough to allow more water through it than the pump can push into the display.

chubby190
10/26/2010, 05:59 PM
A siphon basically works by having the water on the exit side lower than the intake side. Your sump needs to be lower than the display tank. Time to rethink your latest setup.

No. The filter tank water level will be maintained about 6" lower than the show tank; I have siphon. I have this set up running, I am inquiring about float switches or anything else that someone might have experience using to ensure my pump doesn't run if/when the siphon loses prime for some reason. Also, a float switch would ensure that the show tank water level remains near the top--cutting the pump out when it reaches that level. Then as water is siphoned off the pump will kick back in, maintaining a constant water level.

In the mean time, I have found a good fit for my use, Float switch (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=DA1413&child=DA1413&utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=DA1413). I'll just hook it up to a relay and be done.

mfinn
10/26/2010, 07:31 PM
Float switches have been known to fail.

eznet2u
10/26/2010, 07:56 PM
It sounds as if your drop is not enough to cause a sufficient siphon.
You would have to increase the distance the water has to fall to increase flow.

NorthIAreef
10/26/2010, 10:01 PM
I think youre bound to end up with a very wet floor. Its only a matter of time before something very bad happens

chubby190
10/27/2010, 10:26 AM
It sounds as if your drop is not enough to cause a sufficient siphon.
You would have to increase the distance the water has to fall to increase flow.

Water always seeks level, any difference in elevation will cause a siphon. I literally have this system running right now, so I have no questions about my system's ability to siphon. Remember, siphon isn't a sucking action, it's a pressure action from atmosphere/gravity.

My original question was about a float switch or something along those lines. I found what I was looking for, though.

Float switches have been known to fail.

I was worried about that, that's sort of my original intent with this post. Do you have any recommendations for a switch that is reliable? I plan on wiring everything to the normally-open side of the switch and relay, so the float switch would have to be activated to run the pump. I figured that method would be safer than using the float switch to cut power.

Thanks