PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead help...

sn4265
10/25/2010, 08:22 PM
I spent a bit of time up at Lowe's tonight trying to piece together my plumbing for the overflow drain. I looked all around for something called a bulkhead and came up empty. I then asked the plumbing guy up there and he had no clue what I was talking about. So now I turn to you...

I just measured the whole on the bottom of the overflow and it's 1 5/8" in diameter. Based upon this diameter whole, what size and kind of fittings do I need for the bulkhead and the Durso stand pipe?

Just to complete the picture, the tank only has a single center overflow. The return piping is a combination of 3/4" flex and PVC that tees to a pair of returns in the top back corners. The tank is 120 gal, and I picked up a 40b at Petco that I'm using as the sump. I'm planning on picking up a Mag 9.5 for the return pump.

I got a great deal on the tank used, and I'm definitely not prepared to install a second overflow. I know that this isn't ideal, but it's what I have to work with so I want to make it the best it can be. Thanks in advance for any/all help.

NCSUsalt
10/25/2010, 08:55 PM
Your overflow is drilled for a standard 1" bulkhead which you can either get online or any lfs should carry them. A mag 9.5 is too much pump for a 1" bulhead they'll only handle 600 gph I'd probably just go with a mag 5

bad santa
10/25/2010, 09:05 PM
you can find the bulkhead you need at marine depot.

Bcollins111900
10/25/2010, 09:10 PM
You won't find a bulkead for your intended use at Lowes (Trust me I work there). I have spent countless hours in the plumbing department when we are slow with crazy saltwater plumbing ideas lol.

sn4265
10/25/2010, 09:17 PM
Your overflow is drilled for a standard 1" bulkhead which you can either get online or any lfs should carry them. A mag 9.5 is too much pump for a 1" bulhead they'll only handle 600 gph I'd probably just go with a mag 5

Actually, I think that the 9.5 should be just right to accommodate the roughly 4' pumping height which according to the chart yields about 800 gph. Subtract from that 800 gph a tee to the fuge and it seems I should be in pretty good shape. I'll also have a valve that I can throttle down as needed. I would think at a minimum I should look at the Mag 7 since this only give 580 gph at 4'.

Thanks for the feedback though.

nd31male
10/26/2010, 01:54 AM
well id use a gate vaulve to trim it down i think youll be little to much. And ya hardware stores look at ya like your stupid when you mention bulkhead lol

sn4265
10/26/2010, 05:01 AM
OK. Now for part 2... Looking online I've seen "standard", schedule 80, and CPVC materials in "standard threaded", "double threaded", and "double slip" configurations. Which of these should I be trying to get? Sorry for the dumb questions, but this is the only time I've ever worked with plumbing other than replacing a faucet once.

trb
10/26/2010, 03:25 PM
Sch 80 is heavier duty than the standard bulkheads. As for the threads/slip this all depends on how you want to take the system apart for cleaning/upgrades/repairs. I personally have all threaded bulkheads, threads on the inside of the tank to screw the standpipe into, and threads on the outside so I can unscrew the drain lines easily if necessary. Slip on the inside of the tank is OK, but you run the risk of draining the entire overflow if the power goes out and the standpipe is not sealed well.

If you get slip/slip, or thread/slip you will have to glue PVC extensions to the outside of the bulkheads and possibly add an adapter to attach to your other plumbing. And if you need to change out a bulkhead seal, threaded bulkheads are much easier to deal with IMO. You may have to cut and reglue your plumbing if you use slip fittings. Threads just need a little bit of teflon tape or paste and they are good to go.

sn4265
10/26/2010, 05:48 PM
Well, I thought I stumbled across a good thing but on second thought I think I'll need to return this. I went up to the LFS tonight and picked up a bulkhead fitting that is 1" slip on the tank side but only 3/4" flex connection on the outside. This means that the only drain on my 120 gal would be restricted to a 3/4" flex tube. I'm assuming that this is really too narrow, correct?

Should I go back to the LFS and see about a different bulkhead that is 1" on both sides?

kgross
10/27/2010, 01:59 PM
I would see about getting a normal bulkhead and do a full 1 inch drain. You got I think one of the aqueon bulkheads for there tanks, setup to go to flex line. I would get a bulkhead that is double thread, then thread in a 1 inch mpt to 1 inch female slip adapter then use 1 inch thin wall pvc pipe down to your sump. It will not flex and kink decreasing the flow even more, and will not get algae growing in it, like clear tubing.

Kim

chimmike
10/27/2010, 02:11 PM
next time I suggest doing some researching on plumbing before trundling down to the big box stores ;) would've saved you a little trouble in ordering a bulkhead online beforehand.
www.glass-holes.com

jeff@zina.com
10/27/2010, 02:35 PM
Bulk Reef Supply has a good range of bulkhead fittings as well.

Jeff

lth03
10/27/2010, 05:03 PM
Should get 1" slip inside,thread outside.For the inside use 90 degree elbow with top screen to control the water level in the tank,for the outside thread it with a barb connector and use flex tubing to eliminate pump vibration.

sn4265
10/27/2010, 05:04 PM
Woohoo!!! Success. I went back to the LFS and they actually came up with a 1 1/4" bulkhead that fits my hole perfectly. I'm pretty excited at this, sometimes it's the little victories that make the difference. Now, on to the new set of questions...

Do I need to put any silicone around the bushing for the bulkhead or should the bushing be enough to ensure a water tight seal?

The Durso standpipe DIY guide indicates to oversize the pipe on diameters 1" and under. It also goes on to indicate that oversizing isn't really necessary on bulkheads 1 1/2" and bigger. So, the question begs what about a 1 1/4" bulkhead? Should I just build the Durso straight thru with 1 1/4" PVC or oversize it to 1 1/2"?

Finally, is there any reason to not use flex tubing for the drain line? The flex would make it easier to run the drain, and being clear would also be easy to visually inspect for clogs such as snails. Thanks in advance yet again.

jmurr8484
11/12/2010, 10:49 PM
have spent countless hours in the plumbing department when we are slow with crazy saltwater plumbing ideas lol.

What ideas have you came up with so far?:beer:

laverda
11/13/2010, 12:18 AM
Woohoo!!! Success. I went back to the LFS and they actually came up with a 1 1/4" bulkhead that fits my hole perfectly. I'm pretty excited at this, sometimes it's the little victories that make the difference. Now, on to the new set of questions...

Do I need to put any silicone around the bushing for the bulkhead or should the bushing be enough to ensure a water tight seal?

The Durso standpipe DIY guide indicates to oversize the pipe on diameters 1" and under. It also goes on to indicate that oversizing isn't really necessary on bulkheads 1 1/2" and bigger. So, the question begs what about a 1 1/4" bulkhead? Should I just build the Durso straight thru with 1 1/4" PVC or oversize it to 1 1/2"?

Finally, is there any reason to not use flex tubing for the drain line? The flex would make it easier to run the drain, and being clear would also be easy to visually inspect for clogs such as snails. Thanks in advance yet again.
Do not use silicone on the bulhead. It would act as a lubricant and allow the rubber washer to squeeze out. The rubber gasket goes on the flange side of the bulkhead. The flange can be on the inside or outside of the tank, but it is usually inside.
I would oversize the Durso to 1.5" if you have the room. I would alos make some sort of screen to keep snails out, especially if you only have one drain. Otherwise a turbo snail in there would mean water on the floor.
Clear tubing will work, but expect algae to grow inside it making it not so clear, if you have much light in your sump area.

thatguy559
11/13/2010, 01:44 AM

i got a standard 4'x2'x2 120g with the dual overflows and i have a reeflo snapper on this tank with no issues