PDA

View Full Version : Eshopps = Crap

naterealbig
10/26/2010, 12:58 PM
So about 2 months ago, after becoming tired of watching a SeaClone skimmer do absolutely nothing on my 24g Aquapod, I decided I was in the market for a new skimmer.

I was encouraged by a fellow reefer to try the PSK-75H, which is Eshopps HOB version of their smallest skimmer. He said it had worked great on his 75g, and because he loved it so much he was upgrading to the PSK 100H. Because the skimmer was "rated" for 75 gallons, I figured even if the skimmer was over-rated, it would still be great on my A.P.. I bought his PSK-75H, and upon installing it on my A.P., noticed it was doing a good job at keeping the tank clean.

After reading more great things about Eshopps here on ReefCentral, and being impressed with the performance and price of the skimmer I was using, I decided that I was going to order several other items from the company. These items included 2 tank-mounted float valves ($25 each), 2 black frag racks ($20 each), and 2 magnet mounted probe holders ($30 ea). Upon receipt, I was anxious to try out my new frag racks, as I had several corals laying on the bottom of my bb tank. To my surprise, the corals with ORA plugs would not fit into the holes on the frag rack! No big deal, I'll just have to make sure I transfer any ORA frags I get to a different frag plug. Benefit of the doubt #1.

A couple weeks after ordering the aforementioned products, the bubble and skimmate production in my Eshopps skimmer had dropped by nearly a half (despite the fact that I was feeding the fish more). I blew it off, but after another 2 weeks the performance was continuing to drop. I took the skimmer off line to do a deep cleaning, as I was sure the pump and/or venturi was clogged. Unfortunately this was not the case. The body, pump, impeller, and venturi were completely clean. I assembled the skimmer and placed it back on line, but the performance continued to decline.

Giving Eshopps the benefit of the doubt again (#2) , I visited their website looking to order a new pump for my skimmer. I couldn't find one, nor could I find a number for their customer service. I did however shoot them an email asking where I could find a replacement pump for my PSK75H.

The morning after I sent the email for a replacement pump, I was awaken by a lound knock on my the door of my second story apartment. It was the apartment maintenance guy letting me know that my neighbors downstairs were complaining of water leaking into their daughters bedroom from above. The eshopps float valve had completely failed - and it was only the second time I had used it. (Benefit of the doubt #3)

I have sent 3 emails to Eshopps customer service requesting information on where I can find a new skimmer pump, and I have yet to get any response what-so-ever. At this point I won't even bother trying to address the other issues I have had with their products.

The term "great for the price" is an objective phrase I have heard many times here on RC. I understand a lot of people (including myself) can't afford a $1000 skimmer or lighting system. We are always looking for functional equipment that wont cost us an arm or leg. Eshopps seemed to have fit this bill, but a product has to WORK to be worth anything at all. Add to this, non-existent customer service and you've got a real bad mix. I highly recommend against purchasing any of Eshopps products. If you like wasting money, pm me and I'll send you my PayPal addy.

Cheers,

Nate