PDA

View Full Version : Porcelain crabs

Drewbaby
10/26/2010, 04:47 PM
We got a blue porcelain in at my lfs as a hitch hiker and from everything I've read on them they are reef safe. I know they are filter feeders and like to stay near anemones, but is there any risk of them hurting a perc clown? What about them being hurt by other crabs such as hermits?

Also is there any significant difference between the blue ones compared to say the red, green, or purple porcelain crabs?

KeMo
10/26/2010, 10:26 PM
I had got a blue one from the LFS. It was cool . would sit and feed with it wing like things cool to watch. Really went Nutsoo when I fed the tank. Until He ran across and took a swipe at my mandarin.
It will be fine with the clown fish though.

Drewbaby
10/26/2010, 10:49 PM
So it attacked your mandarin? Could it have been a territory thing? I know the porcelains defend their homes pretty drastically

KeMo
10/27/2010, 08:58 AM
Well what happened was the crab was on one of the rocks around the bottom hanging upside down feeding. Not his normal spot but then he never really had one spot he sat in. My mandarin was two rocks over to the left just going around like normal feeding on the rocks and the dumb crab ran off the rock across the sand and took a really fast poke or swipe at him the ran right back. Well that was all I had to see . That was his last mistake. No more crab. I dont take any risk with my Mandarin when it comes to crabs, or other fish that show signs of aggression.

Drewbaby
10/27/2010, 10:22 AM
I don't blame you with a mandarin like that.