PDA

View Full Version : Osmolator down for the count

blowmecius
10/26/2010, 05:09 PM
Hey Roger

I recently moved house and finally got to set up my tank. The osmolator that I have used for at least 5 years of trouble free service is no longer working. I set 'er up and there was only a faint glow from the green LED. Tested the power supply and it was only putting out 2.5V. Ok , no problem I thought, went off to radio schmuck and picked up a 12V/1.5A wall wart.

With this new power supply, no lights at all, but I think I can hear a slight humming coming from the controller. Measured the new one at 13v. The pump runs just fine when connected directly to the new power supply.

I opened the level controller and saw no signs of water intrusion.

The old power supply I had was the original M-800 that came with the unit many moons ago, 3-12v/800mA.

Is the controller not receiving the correct voltage or is the level controller kaput? Your insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

rvitko
10/27/2010, 08:44 AM
It may be the controller, but make sure the power supply has a 2.5 by 5 mm tip and is set up for tip positive, this is very important. If it is set to tip negative, there is a diode on the board which is essentially the electrical version of a check valve and only lets current go one way, it should prevent damage from a polarity reversal but the unit won't work, on a longer reversal it is possible for this diode to burn out.

blowmecius
10/27/2010, 03:53 PM
Brilliant! It was the polarity. Working like a champ now. Thanks!