PDA

View Full Version : Is 4" considered DSB?

Lynnmw1208
10/26/2010, 08:07 PM
I wanted to have at least 4 inches of tropic eden reeflakes in my aquarium for my jawfish. Do I need to be concerned about this being a DSB? if so what precautions should I take? I plan on having sand stirring snails and possibly a sand sifting goby.

Impossible
10/26/2010, 09:09 PM
That would be considered one. You can use newyorksteelo's yputube series as a referance. he has a 2 part vid on DSB's and he also uses them.. His is 4"

re-fin-away
10/26/2010, 09:44 PM
Any where from 4 to 6 inches is a good dsb.

scubasteve06
10/26/2010, 10:15 PM
I'd just occasionaly poke the sand bed with a aquarium tool to make sure that hydrogen sulfide doesn't get built up in it. You can tell when this happens because the sand bed will turn black. If you have good flow 20x-30x turnover in your tank then you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Lynnmw1208
10/27/2010, 06:25 AM
I'd just occasionaly poke the sand bed with a aquarium tool to make sure that hydrogen sulfide doesn't get built up in it. You can tell when this happens because the sand bed will turn black. If you have good flow 20x-30x turnover in your tank then you shouldn't have to worry about it.

would 2 Koralia 4s (1200gph each) and return (about 500gph after head loss) be enough flow?

scubasteve06
10/27/2010, 08:04 AM
would 2 Koralia 4s (1200gph each) and return (about 500gph after head loss) be enough flow?

That should be sufficient, I have 2 korali evo 1400's the same as yours, and a 950gph pump, which after head loss and feeding my fuge is right around 500gph like yours. I know after I calculated it it was right at 28-30x turnover through the tank not sump which IMO is perfect for all types of corals and fish. Mainly you want enough to keep everything in suspension, detritus, food, etc... Did you see where I posted on your other thread about 2-4x turnover in the sump maximum? I was just wondering if you had chosen an overflow box yet that was close to that or drilled the tank for an internal overflow that was also close to that number. I know we both have the same size tank so I am very interested and curious as to how it turns out for you!:wavehand::mixed:

Lynnmw1208
10/27/2010, 01:21 PM
Cool I'm glad I'll have enough flow! As for the overflow box Scuba, I have decided and I'm going to get the glass-holes 1500gph overflow box. I like the fact that it comes with 1.5" bulkheads and it's a kit. Hopefully I won't have an issue with drilling the tank :hmm2: I just didn't feel right that the overflow boxes aren't reliable and seeing as our house is brand new built I don't want water damage lol.

ahenson
10/27/2010, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't stir the sand or get any sifting gobies. They will eat the worms and other fauna you are encouraging to grow in your sandbed. For a good reference google Dr Ron Shimek, he is considered a expert on this and has written a book on the subject.