PDA

View Full Version : NewSkimmer.

KeMo
10/28/2010, 03:23 PM
Ok so I have the remora and I dont really like it . I have the chance to get a Deltec MCE 600 for 325.
This is the one.
http://www.aquariumpros.ca/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=24619&cat=38

Is this over kill on my tank ? I want to upgrade in the future some time and thought why not get something I can use down the road .
Thanks

joeychitwood
10/29/2010, 01:26 AM
Can't access the link without joining the website.

If you are linking to the Deltec MCE600 Turbo skimmer, Deltec recommends it for tanks ranging from 100 to 200 gallons depending on stocking levels. It is possible to overskim, so I would say it is overkill.

meco65
10/29/2010, 01:56 AM
If its a good deal I would say get it and just skim every other day.

KeMo
10/29/2010, 09:57 AM
Ok so I am getting mixed messages. I thought I read on here that you cant over skim ?
They reason I thought of getting this skimmer is because at 300 it seems like a really good deal . I will have to spend 300 on a brand new one that will not be as good as the Deltec. I also was thinking for the future as some day I will want to get a bigger tank.

joeychitwood
10/29/2010, 12:58 PM
A review of the topic of overskimming will reveal a wide variety of opinions as to whether it is even possible. Some say that too many macro- and micro-nutrients may be removed by "overskimming." Others say it is impossible to overskim. My personal opinion is that it is possible to remove too many components in the water column.

I agree that the price for the Deltec is very good. If it is not physically too cumbersome for your system, you could buy it and "dial it back" or even just run it intermittently. Certainly this would be preferable to buying an inefficient skimmer which runs 24/7 yet doesn't really achieve the desired results.

If you really want to get confused, do a search on whether skimming is even necessary.

Sugar Magnolia
10/29/2010, 01:02 PM
I agree with the good Doc. If you do buy it, (it IS a great price) just run it periodically. If it were me, as I have a 30g tank, I would set it to skim over the weekend, or perhaps just a 24 hour period. It would probably remove enough junk from the water in that time period. Say, let it skim, then afterwards, do your normal water change for the week. JMO. ;)