PDA

View Full Version : O2 to increase pH...

1DeR9_3Hy
10/29/2010, 05:32 AM
Its early, so forgive me if this is a popular solution or im beating a dead horse. I have about another 20 minutes before my coffee is in me :)

In a situation like i have, where its obvious my lower pH levels are from a higher concentration of Co2 gas in my house (its pretty air tight, if i open the windows i get a good .25 point in pH)...could i simply hook up a small container of medical grade O2 to a Co2 diffuser to raise my o2 levels in the aquarium? This would increase pH, but how high could it go?

bertoni
10/29/2010, 12:25 PM
Adding oxygen won't increase the pH, and oxygen is a bit dangerous to have around. A carbon dioxide scrubber would be a far more effective approach, and a lot safer. They use calcium hydroxide (lime) to consume carbon dioxide. The media might get expensive, though.

1DeR9_3Hy
10/29/2010, 02:16 PM
Adding oxygen won't increase the pH, and oxygen is a bit dangerous to have around. A carbon dioxide scrubber would be a far more effective approach, and a lot safer. They use calcium hydroxide (lime) to consume carbon dioxide. The media might get expensive, though.

Thanks.

bertoni
10/29/2010, 04:49 PM
You're welcome!