PDA

View Full Version : How to understand corals? FYI

Sk8r
10/29/2010, 12:04 PM
Corals come in several, even many, classes, but for simplicity, let's consider them as 2 groups: stony and softie.

If you want softie---ie, mushrooms, buttons, zoas, etc, leathers: track your alkalinity principally, do regular water changes, and generally run carbon at all times. When annoyed, softies spit into the water, which in the great ocean is only a local problem. In a tank, goes-around comes-around due to our circulating pumps, and everybody gets the dose. Carbon will calm that down.
Softies take moderate to low light, and don't mind particulates in their water---they regard those as 'food'. Doing regular water changes will generally handle anything they need regarding chemistry. However: should your alkalinity not be in balance, everything will be unhappy, so track that. And figure this: the more you keep your water like ocean water, the happier everything from the ocean will be. Take a page from the stony-keepers' book if you're having alkalinity troubles, and just fix it up stony-style. It's not going to hurt at all, and it may make things a whole lot better. Mushrooms, by the way, crawl. They will get onto your structural rock if you don't watch them, so think whether you want them there.
The good thing about softies is that even coral-nipping fish often leave softies alone.

Stony corals eat calcium like it's going out of style once they start eating at all: they also live on light. No kidding. Light. They actually come in two classes: sps and lps.
SPS are the 'colored sticks': they take very high light, up to MH. They require water so clean it has no particulates, and they eat mostly calcium from the water and light. They're very touchy, and really, I would not suggest sps for a novice reefer. Be very careful what fish you put in with them: they're lunch for a lot of fish.
LPS are the poofy, tentacled stony: they take moderate to high light, but live well in moderate. One, bubble, even prefers low light. They build huge skeletons, and use a lot of calcium: they suck particulates from the water, so they like water not to be too clean-scrubbed: your filter sock is taking what they'd like to eat. Given a choice between 'wall' [solid] and 'branching,' buy 'branching'. Fragging (breaking apart) branching coral is far easier. And take those tentacles seriously. You don't think brain has tentacles? Yep: their 'sweepers,' or feeding tentacles come short and long. Allow 6-8" downcurrent space for ANY lps. Also: some live on the sand (plate, slipper, etc---and these will MOVE.) and some live on the reef (hammer, candycane, etc)

For stony in general, they will ultimately get hungry enough to require daily calcium supplement and careful balance of calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium: there are also some neat automations for this supplementation: under 100 gallons, you can get by with kalk, which is the cheapest, as in, use an old bucket and things you find at home; over 100g you're going to be heading for a calcium reactor, which is pricier, and requires a Co2 tank.

Can a novice keep corals, and how soon?
Yes, with the exception of sps, as advised.
You can do it from the first month of your tank...if you're an old hand water-hobbyist and never goof up your water quality. Give it a month past any likelihood of a serious newbie water-mistake, and you're good to go. They're tougher than anemones---wait 6 months on those. When you make them mad, nems go walkabout and do bad things.
Can you overstock with corals?
No. They ARE filters. But they are also biomass, so if you do something to kill off your tank, the mess will be that much worse.
How fast do they grow? Faster than you think likely. Mushrooms can take a rock---fast. 3 heads of hammer can become 60 within 3 years.

Do they have to be quarantined? Yes and no. They have to be dipped: pests ride in on what they eat, and if they find a lot to eat, you've got a problem. Some pests are nearly invisible (redbug) and very hard to eradicate once into your tank. So dip! Then an intermediate tank where you look over a new piece under strong light is not a bad idea. Anything that's going on with it tends to crawl, and show up under a magnifying lens. If you thought you saw something, keep it in the observation tank, and watch it. But once you're willing to bet it's clean, it can go in.

Don't be scared of corals. They're easier than fish or anemones if you watch your chemistry. At least they don't jump or float into powerheads.

But if you're going to have stony corals, you ARE committing to learn the water chemistry part, and best you ask your questions before you get any specimen---and know about dips before you put something in your tank. Ask your lfs, or reserve a small gallon bucket for that purpose. Beyond that, we're happy to explain it, and it's not that hard. 3 elements, 3 tests. And a log book.

Thorin192
10/29/2010, 01:23 PM
So what are the recommended dips for different types of corals?

stu3796
10/29/2010, 01:31 PM
Newbie here... when you say run carbon at all times, what is the easiest way to do that? I have a 35 gallon aquarium with a 10 gallon sump.

Reefind
10/29/2010, 01:35 PM
I am thinking to use activated carbon as well for the reasons mentioned above, is that going also to obserb some stuff that the corals/reef need?

AquaReeferMan
10/29/2010, 01:59 PM
So what are the recommended dips for different types of corals?

I use Coral RX and love it.

AquaReeferMan
10/29/2010, 02:00 PM
Newbie here... when you say run carbon at all times, what is the easiest way to do that? I have a 35 gallon aquarium with a 10 gallon sump.

A media bag, down in the sump, placed where ever water will pass through it.

I am thinking to use activated carbon as well for the reasons mentioned above, is that going also to obserb some stuff that the corals/reef need?

Carbon will not pull out any essential elements.

Sk8r
10/29/2010, 02:05 PM
Ok, let's start with dips, then carbon. Dips are sold at your lfs or by our friendly sponsors. You mix it up in a bucket (polystyrene paint bucket, about 5.00 @ Lowes or Home Depot)---that you reserve for that purpose. Lugols is one. It's made from iodine supplement, and following the directions VERY precisely is essential. Correctly done, it's safe. Keep it and ALL fish supplements away from children: poisonous. There are several other dips: go to a sponsor on our list and search for "coral dip" and read. Note that some dips will kill parasites like red bug, flatworms, and hitchhiking pests, and some are more for coral health; but there may also be eggs and a breeding cycle involved. My best advice is deal ONLY with a reputable and clean source for starters, know the potential enemy FOR that coral, AND dip. Start reading in the coral forums before you start ordering corals: start with hardy ones...a euphyllia (hammer or frog) or candycane in the lps, or plain buttons and mushrooms among the softies.

Now: carbon: put a little carbon in a sock (a ladies kneehigh nylon: unused) does very nicely---use and toss; and put it in the water flow of your overflow, sump, or the like, wherever the water comes through most strongly. Change it at least every 2 weeks, and every 5 days if there's been some reason to suspect it's been heavily assaulted. It won't deplete significant useful things, as long as you do your weekly 10% water changes (or 20% a month)---your salt mix will keep everything up to snuff. Carbon will also take a little yellow out of your water, which is good.

Bad LS1
10/29/2010, 02:46 PM
Awesome thread! I was just thinking about this. My tank is up and running with saltwater. I have all my sand waiting at home and I'm picking up my live rock in a few minutes. By tonight I'll have my live sand/rock in the tank and have my cycle officially started. I was thinking about running carbon. I see people say to just drop a bag in your sump. Wouldn't it be better/more efficient to use a canister filter on your sump with just carbon in it?

It seems like that way the water would be forced through the carbon and not just flow around it and the bag.

mcosta528
10/29/2010, 03:32 PM
I'm with BadLS1, I'd like to know about carbon in a canister filter too.... also maybe instead of a canister you can just use a phosban reactor and put carbon media in it?

Jstdv8
10/29/2010, 04:17 PM
any way you want to get the carbon into a high flow area will make it effective.
Just so long as it's not getting beaten and breaking down into smaller bits that will leak out into the tank.

charo
10/29/2010, 07:27 PM
so it will be ok to buy carbon in bulk and bag it myself?

and by high flow you mean the compartment is draining down from DT?

Sk8r
10/29/2010, 08:00 PM
Oh, sure, bulk is good, just a ladies nylon makes a decent bag. The thing against using it in a cannister is the cost of the cannister system---remember that the return pump cycles all your tank water through in not very long, so in 24 hours about every molecule of water in your system has been past a moderate amount of carbon in a sock. And of course you have to change it out. So if you want to do that, I see no detriment, but don't forget to change it. Remember that depleted carbon becomes a donor of everything it absorbed, and really forgotten carbon can become a nitrate factory. That's the only downside of carbon. And do rinse it in ro/di or salt water, because it can shed black powder, which just looks nasty stuck to things. If allowed to tumble in a cannister sort of container it may shed black stuff, so even so it's a good thing to put it in a sock to contain it and restrain it from tumbling.

scubasteve06
10/29/2010, 08:13 PM
Great post sk8tr I think some of your threads should become stickied in this forum.

charo
10/29/2010, 08:49 PM
i have a fluval i was using in the begining, could i run the fluval in the sump with carbon, just clean it bi weekly? if yes can i also put something else in the fluval that is benificial other than carbon?

Ohponies
10/29/2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks so much, a post like this means a lot to a newbie who is scared of coral.

rennne39
10/30/2010, 02:37 PM
Would you recommend a carbon reactor and what carbon would you recommend putting in it.

Sk8r
10/30/2010, 03:02 PM
The fluval could easily run carbon: just remember to pad it to keep the carbon from disintegrating and keep it clean. Honestly, re any reactors (except if you NEED a calcium reactor), it depends on your budget: mine is the nylon stocking; and I have a basement sump, which doesn't have to be lovely. But if you have the budget, I'm sure they're good, neater looking, mostly; I'm not sure they're more efficient than just tucking a stocking full of carbon under the downflow hose.

FOr those of you who'd like my take on algae-cures, etc, under my avatar you'll find a live link to my blog: I've stored some of the better discussions there.

Re corals: they really are tougher than people think. I set up my tank with some good live rock---but I had a bona fide cycle in the 3rd week, ammonia and everything. And what survived the cycle in my tank, which, incidentally, was watered with ice water (it was a January snowstorm) from the back of a pickup truck...? I had xenia, discosoma mushrooms, (rated as soft corals) various algaes, sponges blue and red, and a stray bit of bubble coral (a stony coral). Not to mention 50 species of crawly things, from spionids to asterina starfish and (of course) aiptasias. So corals were right in there with the tough guys. They grow faster than people think, and you're ready for them once you've got most of the mistakes with water quality out of your system. It's a learning curve.

rennne39
10/30/2010, 03:15 PM
thanks for the help I really like these post

aleonn
10/30/2010, 03:46 PM
Great tips, I gotta start coral dips now!