PDA

View Full Version : Powerheads, and timers

Fastlight81
10/30/2010, 11:55 AM
Hi all, first post here.
I am starting a 29g reef aquarium. I will be getting my rock this afternoon. Right now I have two Koralia's 425 gph. I know the turnover rate is ok, but I do not think it will be enough current through out the tank. I will have my lights set on two different timers, and I was wondering if I got to more koralias, and put them to come one with the lights if it will be over kill? That way there is a higher current flow during the day than at night. If I do get two more koralias should I just get two more nanos at 425gph or bump up to the 750 gph model?
any help would be appreciated

dots
10/30/2010, 09:27 PM
Your at about 30X turnover currently. This should be fine for the time. Play with your Powerhead locations and directions to achieve a good pattern.

Aesthics play a role in all of this as well....too many powerheads could distract from the overall illusion you are creating, until it is found otherwise....I would hold off for now on any more.

You should have your powerheads operating all the time and directed for the best patterns. While true, the ocean does calm down at night, mechanically this can cause problems over time and there is very little biological reasoning for it.

However, it is a good idea depending on which corals you keep to turn them off during feeding to allow each to get what they need.