PDA

View Full Version : First SPS, Any tips?

samdaman
10/30/2010, 08:18 PM
I am running a 250w 12k bulb in a 50 gal. This is my first SPS its a green birdsnest I believe. Any tips for me? Any will be appreciated. Thanks

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz119/monsieursam/SW%20Fish/GreenBirdsnestAndOctopusInk.jpg

Tank2379
10/30/2010, 08:28 PM
Just make sure your water parameters are in good shape- PH, Nitrate, Phosphate, Cal, Alk, Mag. As long as these are ok your SPS should be in great shape for growth and coloration.

samdaman
10/30/2010, 08:30 PM
Just make sure your water parameters are in good shape- PH, Nitrate, Phosphate, Cal, Alk, Mag. As long as these are ok your SPS should be in great shape for growth and coloration.

Thanks, does that frag look in good shape? Also the previous tank had LED's. I have MH, do I have to acclimate them to the light or are they good?

Reefman29
10/30/2010, 08:30 PM
I agree with that. Make sure that the flow is adequate as well.

James404
10/30/2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks, does that frag look in good shape? Also the previous tank had LED's. I have MH, do I have to acclimate them to the light or are they good?

That frag does not look to be in the greatest shape. Looks like there is some STN/RTN going on (notice the white spots).

samdaman
10/30/2010, 09:00 PM
That frag does not look to be in the greatest shape. Looks like there is some STN/RTN going on (notice the white spots).

Hmm, do you think its that or could it be just lite it got stung or something? Should I monitor it or frag that part off right away? Also still wondering about the lights, Do you know?

James404
10/30/2010, 09:06 PM
I would keep an eye on it and make sure it doesnt spread, if it does then I would frag it. It could just grow back over the area. Was it like this when you purchased it?

Usually yes you should acclimate them to your lighting.

samdaman
10/30/2010, 09:08 PM
I would keep an eye on it and make sure it doesnt spread, if it does then I would frag it. It could just grow back over the area. Was it like this when you purchased it?

Usually yes you should acclimate them to your lighting.

Yes it was like this when I bought it. I bought it today from a friend. How would i acclimate it, increasing more and more the time the lights are on each day?

buy_baff
10/30/2010, 09:10 PM
Not a birdsnest looks like green monti digitata

samdaman
10/30/2010, 09:14 PM
Not a birdsnest looks like green monti digitata

Hmm youre right it looks more like that one. I saw it at live aquaria, and it has the same white spots..is it normal?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+1492+2293+1275&pcatid=1275&cmpid=13csegb&ref=6092&subref=AA&CAWELAID=560506049

Norwood IND
10/30/2010, 09:17 PM
If frag came from and LED tank, your metal halides might be too mcuh for it. Would try placing it lower down, let it acclimate to your lights, and move it up after a couple weeks.

Stability is the most important thing for sps. Make sure stable parameters, low phosphates and nitrates and good lighting.

preef
10/30/2010, 10:20 PM
Looks like a digitata to me too. White tips on the right branch look like normal growth tips. That short middle branch is a problem. It has lost tissue. I would cut off that branch to avoid potential RTN or STN. IME it takes a really long time for polyps to grow back onto dead skeleton anyway.

One other thing. Get that Xenia out before it's too late. They will try to take over your tank.

buy_baff
10/31/2010, 12:07 AM
looks like a digitata to me too. White tips on the right branch look like normal growth tips. That short middle branch is a problem. It has lost tissue. I would cut off that branch to avoid potential rtn or stn. Ime it takes a really long time for polyps to grow back onto dead skeleton anyway.

One other thing. Get that xenia out before it's too late. They will try to take over your tank.

^+1

Dustin1300
10/31/2010, 07:48 PM
^+2 Cut off that middle branch.

As far as the xenia...Keep it if you like but just be sure to keep it separate from other rocks so it cannot spread everywhere. I like my xenia that I have on one rock I keep separate as its easy to trim and create new frags of to trade in for store credit at LFS.

samdaman
10/31/2010, 08:24 PM
Ok guys I moved the Digitata from the xenia, So do I cut off the whole branch or just the affected area?

It looks better today, there where some parts that where brown only, and today it is almost completely green, all the little polyps are green and moving a little with the flow.

Picture 1 is where its getting greener, I believe where it was at the last tank it was not getting light right there.. you can see its still a little brown but from when I took the picture it filled up a little more.

Picture 2 is its location, in my 20 gal. tall.

So far it looks like its getting better let me know where it would be a good location to move it to.

Picture 1:
http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz119/monsieursam/digita2.jpg

Picture 2:
http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz119/monsieursam/Digitalocation.jpg

Dustin1300
11/01/2010, 05:44 AM
Based on the new picture the middle branch looks fine to me. If the tips are white its a good thing for a digita, just the way they grow. GL;)

samdaman
11/01/2010, 04:38 PM
Based on the new picture the middle branch looks fine to me. If the tips are white its a good thing for a digita, just the way they grow. GL;)

Glad to hear that, Ill monitor it and report back with any new updates. Thanks Everyone.

Dustin1300
11/01/2010, 05:17 PM
Typically if flow is not really strong and undersides of the branch with little light can have limited Polyp Extension (PE). Once the flow is increased and everything is moving better then you will find PE is good on all parts of the coral;)

NoIdeaWhatToDo
11/02/2010, 01:07 PM
One other piece of advice: keep an eye on those green/brown palys. I inherited some of those in my tank and they spread everywhere. They have become a nuisance.

Kevin_Bullis
11/02/2010, 01:19 PM
looks good I get my first SPS today!

samdaman
11/02/2010, 05:13 PM
I have some very bad news. The little branch is nearly completely gone today. I will take a picture and frag it off today. I have no Idea whats going on. :( sps are very difficult ... good luck Kevin

samdaman
11/02/2010, 05:33 PM
http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz119/monsieursam/IMG_5513.jpg