PDA

View Full Version : Clam parasites?

Bill Nye
10/31/2010, 05:09 PM
I am wondering if there are any other snail predators of clams other than pyramid snails. I have noticed very small red snails on my clam. Should I do a freshwater dip on this guy just in case?

moliken
10/31/2010, 08:25 PM
fwd is very stressful and will almost definitely not kill snails. fwd is a very specific potential cure for parasitic protozoans.
same as if you have acne and get a pacemaker installed. no connection

Bill Nye
10/31/2010, 08:39 PM
Oh ok thanks for the reply. What do you think I should do about the snails then? I have been unable to find any references online about them in respect to being a clam parasite. They are also out during the day unlike what ive read about pyramid snails. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

moliken
11/01/2010, 04:47 AM
first a pic is needed. maybe someone can id them. what makes you think they actually are parasitic and harmful to the clam, esp'lly since you can not find them listed as clam parasites? knop's book lists nothing like red snails as being harmful. if they are bothersome, the clam will react, otherwise, you could use a toothbrush and scrub the shell.
i kinda liked the acne pacemaker analogy, lol. no offense intended, ya know.

aerie2008
11/01/2010, 05:10 AM
I recommend you get a good picture, and contact pagojoe on this forum with an ID request.
Good luck.

mscarpena
11/01/2010, 07:55 AM
If you want to be safe you can scrub them off with a thoothbrush.