PDA

View Full Version : Losing the Love for my 400W MH's

cshutchinson
10/31/2010, 05:55 PM
I have 3 400W Halides in LB MW reflectors over my 72x36x25 SPS tank. They are running 20K Radiums.

I guess I just don't like the halides in these reflectors. What I fell in love with years ago, was the halide look in the old spider reflectors where you get super duper shimmer.

So, I am thinking of ditching the MHs and going to a dimmable ATI power module or two of them. Maybe two of the 10 x 39 units to fully cover the tank.

Am I crazy? This is a lot of money to spend, but these MH reflectors aren't doing it for me in terms of how the tank 'looks' It is just BRIGHT with a small amount of shimmer. I do have some T5 supplementation, but honestly the tank looks so much better before the halides ever come on!

I have had this setup running for 3 months now and have seen many SPS tanks with all T5 that look much better. I am not saying that MH or T5 are better for growth, but I think T5's will give great growth and a nice way of catering the bulbs to make the tank look nice.

Can you guys share any similar experiences before I drop close to three grand on this change? Thanks! :idea:

Here is my current fixture....

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk240/cshutchinson/Reef%20Room/IMG_0314.jpg

UWUALineman
10/31/2010, 06:03 PM
Why not add more surface agitation to promote more of the shimmering in the tank? With T5's your shimmer is gone.
To answer your "crazy" questions....yes. I wouldn't give up my 400W Radiums for any T5 setup especially on an SPS tank. Just my thoughts, as I switched from T5 to Halide for the shimmer and growth of my SPS and have not had any regrets. To eash his own, you get great color with the T5, but nothing replaces the shimmer unless you jump to high dollar LED.

I am running 3 400w Radiums in lumenmax elites over my 210G.

cshutchinson
10/31/2010, 06:14 PM
I hear what you are saying. I guess I was disappointed with the look of the LBs from day one and it isn't getting any better. I don't enjoy viewing the tank with the halides on and since it sits in front of my desk at the office and I see it 8 to 9 hours a day, that sucks.

I have 4 MP40s in the tank and the surface is plenty agitated.

Rockys_Pride
10/31/2010, 06:21 PM
Before you spend 3000 on this setup, you can get power saving from LEDs. You can make your own LED fixture and save some $$$. Or you can go with the ones I got, cheapo $290 LED fixtures. I replaced my 2 400w MH (14000K). I have noticed my SPS growing, even with these cheapo LEDs. I have plenty of shimmer also, not like MH though, it reminds me of lightning. Lighting that's blue/yellow color. I'd say LEDs are the way to go, especially for color.

WI reefer55
10/31/2010, 06:59 PM
t5 better color no shimmer
MH less color, shimmer, prolly better growth

led idk i have seen a couple setups and they look awesome but idk about growth

if your not happy after 3 months with the light your not goin to be happy in 6 months...

your answer get something else t5 and some leds for the shimmer

sowellj
10/31/2010, 07:38 PM
Greetings from a fellow south carolinian. I am running essentially the same thing, 3-400 watt halides w/galaxy balasts in lumebrites. I think newer refectors are so good at what they do (spread light) that you don't get the pronounced shimmer effect like with older reflectors. I don't know if this would work, but why not get one or two of the spotlight metal halides that are popular on the asian tanks. This might act more like a point source of light.

t4zalews
10/31/2010, 08:16 PM
ive never had better color then when I was running a 400w radium in a lumenarc reflector. Ive seen amazing colors with t5 bulbs, but for sps the 400w radiums are phenomenal

stephane
10/31/2010, 08:45 PM
Led is realy the way to go IMO

sirreal63
10/31/2010, 09:26 PM
The problem IMHO is the LB's, they are too much of a spotlight and are not effective at covering your 36" width. They are great at tall tanks and focus the light perfectly for a 2x2 area when raised. LumenArcs or LumenMax's are better at spreading the light evenly, more like a flood light. I would agree with adding surface agitation, it does make a difference in shimmer. I wouldn't have chosen 400 watters for a 25" tall tank, 250's would have been more than adequate. Before you do anything, I would suggest increasing the surface agitation, it may make the difference you are looking for.

Looks like a very nice setup by the way. :-)

cshutchinson
10/31/2010, 09:58 PM
Here is what the tank looks like with the MH and T5:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk240/cshutchinson/Full%20Tank%20Shots/FTS10042010.jpg

Here is what the tank looks like with just the limited T5s

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk240/cshutchinson/Full%20Tank%20Shots/FTS10162010.jpg

Do you guys see what I mean. The halides just blow the tank out when you see for 8 hours.

bolo7735
10/31/2010, 10:27 PM
I have the same reflectors running on 2 x 400W. I feel your pain. Get rid of those reflectors and either get different reflectors or switch to AI LEDs. Few weeks ago I had switch to ATI and even thou the colors were nice it was not the same. I end up returning the unit.

cubsFAN
10/31/2010, 10:28 PM
maybe reefbrites with t5's? Sounds like you may be able to get what you want, but I only know what I've read. Do a little research on the premium aquatics forum. Recently had my first led experience and I'm very impressed with the colors and shimmer.

cshutchinson
11/01/2010, 05:30 AM
I have the same reflectors running on 2 x 400W. I feel your pain. Get rid of those reflectors and either get different reflectors or switch to AI LEDs. Few weeks ago I had switch to ATI and even thou the colors were nice it was not the same. I end up returning the unit.

I am starting to like the idea of trying the AI LEDs....

forddna
11/01/2010, 06:54 AM
Your tank is sooo clean. I hate you. :P

If you used to be happy with other reflectors, why not try another reflector?? Heck, you could even just buy one, try it out, then buy the other 2. Or check your local reef club, if you have one, and see if you can borrow another type.

My 250s don't really shimmer, either, but my 70w HQI in a $30 reflector over my freshwater planted tank does. Go figure.

teesquare
11/01/2010, 07:25 AM
How about trying dimmable MH ballasts first? I have a fixture with the Coral Vue dimmables - and I really like it.

BTW - I have gone from having 2 - 250 MH Radiums, and 14 T-5 54 watt bulbs over mine, to a new fixture ( was shown as the proto type at MACNA this year) from Coral Vue.
It has 2-400, 2- 54 watt T-5s and 12-blue LEDS which are "aimable", that is they are mounted so that you can swivel and aim them -each is mounted in a mini-eyeball housing....really like it, and the corals have colored up great.

I am going to update my build thread with some pictures of the fixture right now.
Best of Luck!
T

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1762906&highlight=holy+reefer

cshutchinson
11/01/2010, 07:30 AM
How about trying dimmable MH ballasts first? I have a fixture with the Coral Vue dimmables - and I really like it.

B

They do look better dimmed. Not sure why I have never turned these CV ballasts down before. Maybe the 110% setting is just causing the radiums to look blown out. Thanks for the idea. I will see if I can live with this. I have them on 70% now, I hope the SPS will adjust.

twistedreefer
11/01/2010, 07:41 AM
icecap has a retro led tube that is pretty decent. i have 2 of them with my 6 t5s and have a decent shimmer. they also give some great pop to the corals. my sps are thriving

teesquare
11/01/2010, 07:46 AM
They do look better dimmed. Not sure why I have never turned these CV ballasts down before. Maybe the 110% setting is just causing the radiums to look blown out. Thanks for the idea. I will see if I can live with this. I have them on 70% now, I hope the SPS will adjust.

They will adjust easier to lower light than higher light. But depending on which coral - you may find this better - or not - color-wise.

Got the up-dates done on the thread. You may want to consider the aimable LEDS as a supplement. Probably little more than aesthetic @ 12 watts - but it makes for the most incredible nite time to dawn or dusk transition I have seen. They are also manually dimmable. Working on a way to tie in the Profilux to those for dimming.....
T

amheck
11/01/2010, 11:11 AM
A lot of people are adding the Reef Brite LED modules to their tank for some shimmer with existing T5 fixtures. From what I've read, you have to add some white light (like the 50/50 RB as opposed to all blue) but people seem to be really happy with them.

Maybe you'd be happier with some ATI T5 fixtures along with a few reefbrite strips.

Neogenocide
11/01/2010, 02:27 PM
If it were my tank, here is what I would do. I would DIY a LED module to replace one of your 400w MH's. No sense is dropping all the cash into replacing all of them if you don't like it. Replace one of the fixtures on the end with it, and run it a while to see if you like it. Worst case, it's easily resold making all your money back you have in it, or losing very little as LED's are the hot thing these days.

I personally run 100% LED's and love it. I just converted my frag tank over as well. My 180g will be coming online soon, and it will also be 100% LED. Just something to think about before your drop some major bucks into a a premade unit.

Scott

***edit***

There are also quire large gains to be seen with lower electricity bills and almost no heat added to your system due to your lighting. Just another thing to think about.

cshutchinson
11/01/2010, 02:34 PM
If it were my tank, here is what I would do. I would DIY a LED module to replace one of your 400w MH's. No sense is dropping all the cash into replacing all of them if you don't like it. Replace one of the fixtures on the end with it, and run it a while to see if you like it. Worst case, it's easily resold making all your money back you have in it, or losing very little as LED's are the hot thing these days.

I personally run 100% LED's and love it. I just converted my frag tank over as well. My 180g will be coming online soon, and it will also be 100% LED. Just something to think about before your drop some major bucks into a a premade unit.

Scott

***edit***

There are also quire large gains to be seen with lower electricity bills and almost no heat added to your system due to your lighting. Just another thing to think about.

Thanks, I will do some searching on DIY LED fixtures tonight. That does sound like a good option!

iriejp1
11/01/2010, 03:28 PM
Um...in short...yeah you're crazy. T5 tanks look too unnatural for me. If you think you dont have shimmer now...just wait. lol.

Try some new reflectors. And remember...the grass isnt always greener. Its just different grass.

You'll be even more ****ed when you find yourself needing to switch back. :thumbsup:

marke
11/01/2010, 06:28 PM
leds are great to supplement your MH. MH is the way to go! Try 15k xm bulbs if you dont like 20k radis, and try different reflectors. How close are your bulbs to the water? How old are those 20k,s? I love 400wt MH look, it cant be beat! Just supplemented! Yes your crazy!

sjt7
11/01/2010, 06:29 PM
i think overdriving the radiums was a big part of the problem. the 250w radiums are the ones that are supposed to be overdriven and the 400s are actually supposed to be ran at 380 i believe. its been a while but there is a thread about the correct way to run radiums. i personally love t5s but to me it sounds like you want shimmer. i would stick with the halide t5 combo and try different reflectors and make sure the bulbs are ran at the correct specs.

cshutchinson
11/01/2010, 06:37 PM
Ok, thanks for all the replies guys. I think the consensus is that I should keep what I have or supplement what I have.