PDA

View Full Version : elos midi!

MIDIMEE
11/02/2010, 08:57 PM
so i took the plunge back into this horrific hobby and purchased this tank by elos. any good??? lol jk.. sooo im planning on a sps dominant eye candy i can stare at for hours and hours. i need help deciding which direction i should take in terms of filtration, refugium, sand no sand stuff like that. Its not the biggest tank in the world so im a little iffy to add any external mods because it defeats the purpose of the size i purchased. I'm just a back in the day (2 years ago! lol) reefer just trying to figure things out!

allsps40
11/02/2010, 09:25 PM
Yes sand but not a deep sand bed. If your Elos came with a sump I would just use that one as it is. Maybe upgrade the skimmer. If no sump then yeah you may want to look at running a fuge. Light for sps has come a long way in 2 years. T5 and LEDs are giving halides a run for their money. I would go with a LED set up. Elso has a nice but pricy LED for their smaller tanks. The Panorama and AI fitures are really awesome. This is a really cool tank, a LFS has a few of them and small nano one running with the LEDs on it.

sweet ride
11/02/2010, 10:15 PM
congrats on taking the plunge, cant wait to see it all setup.

when you say small, how many gallons are we talking about 50, 75, 100????

allsps40
11/02/2010, 11:06 PM
It had to on bigger than 30-40 gallons. The have 2 other larger display tanks also. An Elos I think its around 80-100 gallons and a custom tank very large around 300 gallons. All light with LEDs mostly Panoramas the 300 gallon is light with several PAR38s. Very cool store.

MIDIMEE
11/03/2010, 06:00 PM
yeah its appx 35gallons with the sump that it comes with. i upgraded the skimmer to the ns500 =) i also purchased the package that came with elite xp led lighting. i guess my real question is whether or not to use sand in my display. i would prefer bare bottom though but i know im gonna need to add sand somewhere but don't know where! should i just bite my tongue and make life easier by adding it to the display???? blah help!!!

Soymilk
11/03/2010, 06:54 PM
Technically you don't need sand. I've seen quite a few bare bottom rimless tanks full of awesome sps. Having sand does help with the biofiltration. So it would also depend on how stocked your tank is.

With that bring said its all up to you and what you want. Going barebottom make things a lot easier to clean but you lose the natural look of sand. Some people are using white cutting board material on the bottom. Looks pretty good.

Grats on the tank. You should love it. I got a system 70 myself. Can't wait to upgrade lol.

MIDIMEE
12/09/2010, 01:14 AM
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=27123&id=1753916773&l=23a29003c5

blah here's the link for my update! i know that thermometer looks stoopid but im testing out my digital one to see how far off they are from each other. its been cycling for about a month or soo. i added a duncan frag because its my favorite. (supersized polyp!) currently have a pair of black clowns some yellow wrasse thats not reef safe and a cherry pseudochromis that killed a fish already. yeah talk about poor planning! lol i got that filtra m vodka/sugar method thing going some carbon and dosing elos's prima line 1 and 3 per recommended by jesse@elosusa. i'm just getting a little paranoid because i feel like im missing something. i just ordered my vortech pumps today. it should be coming in tomorrow or the next day. i ordered 2 mp10's for some reason. overkill??? we'll find out.....