PDA

View Full Version : Major Crash!!

Northmole
11/03/2010, 12:20 PM
Ok, please don't think ill of me. I started my 1st salt tank 14 years ago. I have had a 75 gallon for the past several years and 3 pregnancies and 3 little ones later I recently decided to downsize as the upkeep is too much for me alone. So I have always kept it very basic and minimal with easy fish. So, here's the deal. I have moved my tank from place to place, home to home 8 times, never a loss of life ever. Now, about 10 days ago I took a bunch of the live rock and sand to the new 30 gallon. I had mixed new salt water using RO and put in about 20 gallons new water to 10 old. I did not take the skimmer to the new tank (should have I feel now) and stated the new eheim can filter and let it be for a few days. Then I put in the clown, the Coral Beauty, and the gramma. All 3 died within a day. I am at a loss. Two days later (today) TONS of little bristle/sand worms are laying dead and hanging out of the rocks. What the hell did I do wrong?? I guess I have done this so many times I became overconfident in the move. The only thing I did different was not keeping as much old water as I have before and not doing the skimmer. Sorry I can't tell you the ammonia and nitrates as I don't have any test kits, just been lucky :( Any ideas what I did and where do I go from here???

aleonn
11/03/2010, 01:00 PM
Sorry to hear, it looks like something with the water quality. Perhaps too much die-off from live rock during the move, causing spikes in ammonia and nitrates. Also disturbing the sand bed may release toxic gases. Did you check your salinity with a refractometer?

Siphon out the dead bristleworms so that they don't add to the problem. Then do a few major water changes. Definitely purchase some test kits (Master API or Salifert).

Northmole
11/03/2010, 01:05 PM
I tested specific gravity hydrometer. Reads 1.021.
I just wonder how the rock could have died off when I had it in buckets of the old water. Maybe too dark? I am clueless.

Shaqinwi 65
11/03/2010, 01:07 PM
How long has it been since you calibrated your refractometer?

DustinB
11/03/2010, 01:25 PM
First off, sorry this happened too you. Hopefully it doesn't deter you from the hobby.

I'm gonna shoot for the sand. How deep was it in the old tank? How long had it been undisturbed? Did you rinse it? There's a lot of bad stuff that can be released from sand beds.

DustinB
11/03/2010, 01:29 PM
How long has it been since you calibrated your refractometer?

She was using a hydrometer, likely measuring the same salinity as the fish were already in. Also, being a hydrometer, the salinity was likely closer to the normal range.

Northmole
11/03/2010, 02:34 PM
She was using a hydrometer, likely measuring the same salinity as the fish were already in. Also, being a hydrometer, the salinity was likely closer to the normal range.

Exactly. Wow, I never thought to rinse the sand. It was about 2 1/2" deep. What should I do with it now?!?!? Since I am now at square one, what do you all recommend for starting a pretty much fish only, small tank if you were starting one from scratch???
Thanks everyone!

aleonn
11/03/2010, 02:44 PM
I'd empty the tank, clean it with vinegar solution, clean the sand, and soak the rocks in vinegar or muriatic acid solution. This will pretty much sterilize the tank and its contents to get ready for a new beginning.

DustinB
11/03/2010, 03:01 PM
IMHO, I would:

Get ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate test kits. You can get some API brand cheap.
Drain water and store with rock in a container.
Remove sand and rinse thoroughly.
Scrub the rocks thoroughly.
Place sand and rock back in tank and refill with new saltwater.
Wait 3-6 weeks until ammonia and nitrite are steady at 0 for a few days.

The start adding fish slowly, maybe one every 2 weeks.

Tat2demon
11/03/2010, 03:43 PM
You mentioned an Ehiem canister filter. Had it been sitting with old water in it by chance? If it was full and not turned on for a while it could have gone toxic.

Northmole
11/03/2010, 03:49 PM
You mentioned an Ehiem canister filter. Had it been sitting with old water in it by chance? If it was full and not turned on for a while it could have gone toxic.

No, it was brand new. But now that I think more, my hubby assembled it and I never told him to rinse all the new media first as I have done in the past but maybe it wouldn't matter anyway.

Northmole
11/03/2010, 03:50 PM
What makes the sand go "bad"? Is is too old after 14 years? Should I just buy new???

sruiz
11/03/2010, 03:56 PM
Sorry for your loss.

My first guess was that you did not cycle your tank and had an Amonia spike. As you mentioned yourself you need to test your tank constantly. So you need to start with a test kit, even if its simple. You did not give much info about your set up? was this a new canister filter ( they are also known as nitrate factories), you want to make sure you keep that clean (i've never used one though).Did you have a heater and power head with the live rock? How long did it sit in the water. That may have also contributed to the amonia spike.
Start over and do it right, test and do water changes before you put anything.
Good Luck

Northmole
11/03/2010, 04:45 PM
Sorry for your loss.

My first guess was that you did not cycle your tank and had an Amonia spike. As you mentioned yourself you need to test your tank constantly. So you need to start with a test kit, even if its simple. You did not give much info about your set up? was this a new canister filter ( they are also known as nitrate factories), you want to make sure you keep that clean (i've never used one though).Did you have a heater and power head with the live rock? How long did it sit in the water. That may have also contributed to the amonia spike.
Start over and do it right, test and do water changes before you put anything.
Good Luck
It is a brand new EHeim- what should I do instead for fish only in your honest opinion??? I had the water heated up to 70. Did not use the power head. Left the rock in buckets of original tank water for appx 3 days before I got it into the new tank.
Thanks

DustinB
11/03/2010, 05:07 PM
Read this: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-12/rhf/index.php

I have seen several cases where people have used old sand or heavily stirred their sand bed and killed everything in the tank. It's not that your sand goes bad, it's that different compounds and trapped organics form in the sand. When you disturb it you create all kinds of trouble.

aleonn
11/03/2010, 11:47 PM
When you took out the live rocks into buckets, ideally there should be a powerhead and heater in each one. Three days of colder water and no circulation may have contributed (along with the disturbed sand bed) to the spiked parameters.

Metal Man 1221
11/04/2010, 12:34 AM
+1 on the sand, and the rocks sitting too long. I didnt rinse my sand when I got my tank used. It has proved to be a royal pain to keep my tank at healthy levels.

The_Codfather
11/04/2010, 05:45 AM
If all prams are ok the only other thing would be if you had any sponge's on the rock and when removing them touched air and started to die off can give off very bad toxins

travis32
11/04/2010, 06:15 AM
I think one tiny fact probably killed the fish. Depending on what the fish were at.. If the fish were at around a normal temp of 78 to 80 and you put them into a tank of water at 70. That may have been too big of a change.

I had the water heated up to 70.

I believe fish like warmer temps and corals like cooler temps.

TripleT
11/04/2010, 06:27 AM
Any ideas what I did and where do I go from here???

Buy new test kits for ammonia, nitrite, ph, and nitrate, minimally.

Double check water parameters by bringing water samples to your LFS.

Verify ammonia and nitrite readings of non-zero.

When moving fish, make sure there are virtually no changes in temp, ph, and salinity. Acclimate them to the new tank water as if they were new purchases from your LFS (drip acclimate with a bucket).

Buy some spare Polyfilters or Pura filter pads. You should always have these on hand for emergencies. Add them to your sump or canister filter when you suspect contamination.

Get an oversized skimmer, and avoid canister filters.

zaheda
11/04/2010, 06:29 AM
Well I would say start doing water changes on the tank. Make sure the ro unit ok as the goes with getting new batch salt. Remove all the sand and have it washed and placed back inside the tank. I would remove the rock and use new live rock. Kill the rock you have and after wash it, than you can put back later after a month or so can reseed it. A skimmer can help alot too. Calibrate the refrectometer again.