PDA

View Full Version : diy display tank questions

fragboy94
11/03/2010, 04:43 PM
i am wanting to build my own tank im thinking 48Lx36Wx18H
i looked the instructions and dimensions on this site. http://garf.org/tank/BuildTank.asp

my question is is 1/4 of a inch thick enough for this size tank total gallons is 135 and is it necesary to have a tempered bottom.

uncleof6
11/03/2010, 05:30 PM
i am wanting to build my own tank im thinking 48Lx36Wx18H
i looked the instructions and dimensions on this site. http://garf.org/tank/BuildTank.asp

GARF is great for a lot of things, but tank building is not one of them.

my question is is 1/4 of a inch thick enough for this size tank total gallons is 135 and is it necesary to have a tempered bottom.

No it is not enough. The glass needs to be 9 - 10mm thick with a frame/eurobrace top and bottom. The bottom panel does not need to be tempered.

If wanting to do a rimless, the glass will need to be 12mm thick, with a 15mm bottom panel or an internal bottom eurobrace (as above)

In either case, you will probably save money by purchasing a tank of similar dimensions.

fragboy94
11/03/2010, 07:00 PM
would it really be cheaper than diy.
and i was going to do eurobrace

uncleof6
11/03/2010, 07:09 PM
would it really be cheaper than diy.
and i was going to do eurobrace

Generally it will be cheaper yes. Not always, but .... depends on what price you have to pay for glass--then add the silicone ( 10 bucks a tube and you should not really use consumer grade silicone from HD.) Plus you get a warranty if you buy a tank: value priceless.

iamwrasseman
11/03/2010, 07:11 PM
to diy a tank of that size is somewhat of a major task and i would suggest that you purchase one that is professionally built . failure on something like that is very costly as floors and underlying ceilings etc will be a major setback and pita . if you have built smaller ones a few times and had the working knowledge of assembly i would go for it but by your question on thickness i would tend to think its your first try and would leave it to the pros on this diy attempt .

fragboy94
11/03/2010, 07:29 PM
hmm ok.... it is going to be in the basement so no serious worries. i have messed with acrylic and glass i resealed my tank when i got it. and built my sump from scratch due to a reg 20l not fitting so i built it inside my stand and so far no leaks or problems.
so what should i do just go with a 120

iamwrasseman
11/03/2010, 07:49 PM
for ease of mind i would suggest that you do purchase the 120 but the front to back width is quite a bit shorter that what you want . custom tanks take time and are expensive so i guess you have an important decision to make but i strongly think that you shouldn't diy that tank because of its size . first price the glass and then make up your mind ,i would also give this tread some time and someone may key in that has built a few of them and has some better knowledge and may be able to help you out . i like the guarentee of a purchased tank myself .

fragboy94
11/03/2010, 08:08 PM
Yea its the closest thing i could find gallon wise and size wise. I asked on my local forum for info on any locals that build glass tanks but im 99% sure there is none. The only tank builder i know is my friends dad but he strictly only builds acrylic tanks. He owns a local acrylic shop called illini plastics. But i am not an acrylic guy due to the easy scratching. And i prefer local due to it being cheaper to get wise.