PDA

View Full Version : Magnet Friction

etepperman
11/04/2010, 08:36 AM
Hi,

I have one of those big magnet things for cleaning my tank. I like the larger ones that put a good amount of pressure on the glass, however I notice that friction on the front of the glass makes moving these around a bit sticky.

A squirt of glass cleaner allows me to glide it around effortlessly, but what I would really like is a low friction material that I can fix to the magnet. Anyone have any suggestions?

-E

Uncle Salty 05
11/04/2010, 09:01 AM
Teflon tape. (not the plumbing kind)

tkeracer619
11/04/2010, 09:01 AM
One problem with that extra clamping force is when you get a grain of sand in between the glass and magnet. It will permanently scratch your tank.

In the kitchen scrubbers section at grocery store get a box of "dobie pads" The have the white plastic mesh that feels sharp around a yellow sponge.

Cut the pad apart so you get two peices of the sharp plastic that would fit over the inside magnet (wet side)

It should help reduce the clamping power, will give sand and debris a place to go, and will clean the heck out of the tank. The plastic while it feels sharp is teflon and will not scratch even an acrylic tank. It will make cleaning your glass a lot easier and when your done you can pull the dobie pad out and rinse all the algae off of it.

Try it, you will like it.

If the felt pad has had salt get on it you probably can wash it or get a new felt pad. That is about the best I can suggest for the dry side. Once they get dirty they stick instead of slide.

Hocky
11/04/2010, 09:16 AM
It will become harder to move as the pads wear out - you might look into replacing the pads. The felt is usually pretty good.

noahm
11/04/2010, 10:20 AM
My solution is ghetto. I have my mag float in an old sock on the dry side.

tkeracer619
11/04/2010, 10:51 AM
My solution is ghetto. I have my mag float in an old sock on the dry side.

Its a two fold solution!

Makes it glide smooth AND keeps people from touching the magnet. Score!