PDA

View Full Version : Bad starfish?

Jacuzzi
11/04/2010, 01:46 PM
So I purchased a frag of favia this last week and before I put it in my tank I gave it a quick dip in R/O. However after I put it on my sandbed I noticed that it had a couple starfish on it that looked like asterina stars but couldnt tell. Now a couple colonies of Zoas I have near by have partially closed up. I will look for tonight to see if they are still closed but what can I do besides pick them out? I dont want to get a harley shrimp just to have to give him away later. I know that I have many asterina stars in the tank, but what should I do now?

Sugar Magnolia
11/04/2010, 02:26 PM
Manual removal is about the only thing you can do.

allsps40
11/04/2010, 02:38 PM
Fresh water dipping any coral is a no no. Most of the time it kills it. I have saved a few clams from pinched mantel using fresh water dips. I have also killed acros with 30 second fresh water dips. Can you post pics of the star fish in question? Most that come in on LR are good and harmless. I have many of the small white stars in my tank, cant remember the name maybe asterina. And I have many silver dollar sized brittle stars that can in on LR and grew from small than dime sized.