PDA

View Full Version : zoa issue

Brettm3535
11/04/2010, 08:38 PM
About a week ago I bought a frag of zoa's with approx 10 of them on the rock. I dripped them for about an hour and placed them into my tank. That evening and the next day they were all open and looking awsome. After that second day they have now got to the point that all were closed really tight. A few days ago I checked my water params aand all were good other than my calcuim was a little low. I also did a water change to see if this was the cause. Tonight I still seen no improvement so I did a little reading up and I determined that I would try putting them in a higher flow area. Since I have seen one of the pods has a skin like material that has blown off and now I am seeing some color and that paticular one is starting to open slightly.

Just seeing what this might be and is there anything else I can do to turn these things around?
Thanks

MUCHO REEF
11/05/2010, 01:06 PM
About a week ago I bought a frag of zoa's with approx 10 of them on the rock. I dripped them for about an hour and placed them into my tank. That evening and the next day they were all open and looking awsome. After that second day they have now got to the point that all were closed really tight. A few days ago I checked my water params aand all were good other than my calcuim was a little low. I also did a water change to see if this was the cause. Tonight I still seen no improvement so I did a little reading up and I determined that I would try putting them in a higher flow area. Since I have seen one of the pods has a skin like material that has blown off and now I am seeing some color and that paticular one is starting to open slightly.

Just seeing what this might be and is there anything else I can do to turn these things around?
Thanks

Sorry to hear the bad news.

1. Why did you drip acclimate them?

2. Were they picked up or shipped via UPS, Fedex etc?

3. What type of lighting were they under previously in comparison to your tank? Did you inquire first?

4. Did you inquire of the parameters they were in?

5. Did you aerate, circulate, balance the temp and parameters of the make up water?

6. Did you light acclimate them?

7. Please see the link below, I hope it helps. Good luck with them.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1154238&highlight=mucho

8. Please list your parameters?

There are a ton of potential reasons, with more info; it is easy to isolate the cause.

Mucho Reef

Brettm3535
11/05/2010, 05:14 PM
Mucho Reef
Thanks for the responce hope my answers will help shed some light. I bought the zoa's from the LFS and I did not look carefully to see the exact params they were in at the LFS.
1. I dripped them so that they arent shocked when I placed them into my tank, as I have done for any new addition.
3. I did not check but I believe they were under T5's and I am also running 4-T5's
4. I only know that the salinity is the same from the tank at the LFS the rest Im not sure of.
5. Yes the new water was all the same as the DT.
6. I placed them mid height in my tank with med-low flow. I have read lost of opinions and some say lots of light and high flow and some say lowerlight so Im not sure exactly what is best.
8. My current params are: Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 7.5-8
Phosphate 0.5
Nitrates 0
Calcium 380( currently working on this to bring it up)
salinity 1.025
Hope this helps, and from now on I will be checking the LFS tanks they are in and find out more info. Any ideas what the clear skin like material that is on the pods is? When that skin is off they look healthy and no whire marks or anything on them
Thanks a bunch for the help

woofu
11/05/2010, 06:35 PM
check for nudibranches

Brettm3535
11/05/2010, 06:37 PM
I have checked but cant really tell. Is there a dip solution I should try or just give it a little timefor now

SushiGirl
11/05/2010, 06:59 PM
pH is kinda low for zoas, should be 8.1 to 8.4.

tiburone9162003
11/05/2010, 11:56 PM
im at 7.8-8.0 n my zoas doing fine,i just dont see much grow on then not sure why :(
maybe check for nudis, maybe coralrx or revive...

Brettm3535
11/06/2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks