PDA

View Full Version : Lost my bicolor blenny a while ago and still miss him. Do you miss any loses?

TBall
11/06/2010, 01:40 PM
I recently lost my bicolor blenny to hole in the head disease. I treated all the fish with metronidazole and they all got better but him. He was like a dog, like a member of the family. So sad. I told myself I would never get another bicolor again because then its like you replaced him as if he meant nothing. So there is now a tailspot blenny in my tank and hopefully i can catch anything in time that could happen to him because he is full of personality.

Anemonebuff
11/06/2010, 02:10 PM
You can have mine he's a D**K. He pics at corals and clams. What a PITA>

MOB1224
11/06/2010, 02:18 PM

ROLF:lolspin::lolspin::lolspin::lolspin::lolspin:

TruReef
11/06/2010, 02:25 PM
I lost a Flame Angel in my last move. I had him for 6yrs. Loved that fish...

TBall
11/06/2010, 03:15 PM

Thats too funny. See those are the type of fish you cant wait to forget. I had a powder brown tang that was a complete a hole. He picked on all the fish didnt matter the size or shape. Traded him in to the LFS for a purple tang. Worth it.

Anemonebuff
11/06/2010, 03:26 PM
I would trade him in, but he is impossible catch! GRRRRRRR!

TBall
11/06/2010, 03:38 PM
I would trade him in, but he is impossible catch! GRRRRRRR!

Yea i bet. It seems like they are the only fish with a complex brain with their behaviour.

cilyjr
11/06/2010, 04:59 PM
i really liked my powder blue. he was perfectly behaved. had him for about 4 years. still not sure why he died.
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z43/cilyjr/tang1.jpg

ALH
11/06/2010, 05:06 PM
lieutenant tang. seemingly healthy one day, then *poof* gone

sue711
11/06/2010, 06:43 PM
Not a literal loss, but I miss my Sixline wrasse. He really was well behaved, but my mated clown pair almost killed him... so I had to give him away. :(

Moonstream
11/06/2010, 06:49 PM
I had a LMB fuggly who was like a part of the family. he begged like a dog for food, would eat anything, ate out of your hand, always had to sit on you if you were doing something in the tank. my dad keeps angling for a new one, but there isnt enough algae for them to eat, and I cant fid one already taking prepared food.

I also miss both my genicanthus sp. angels. Im still not sure what happened to my swallowtail; she was eating great and looking happy, putting on weight, growing, then she was hiding, and then the next day she was gone. I got a lamarck's after her, she used to follow me around from inside the tank, begged worse then the LMB, a little more pushy than the swallowtail, but still pretty peaceful. unfortionately I had to give her up when I downgraded from my 75g to my 29. still really upset that I did that, shes by far one of my favorite fish I ever had.

TBall
11/07/2010, 08:20 AM
i really liked my powder blue. he was perfectly behaved. had him for about 4 years. still not sure why he died.
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z43/cilyjr/tang1.jpg

What a beautiful fish!! So sorry to hear about that. This is the reason I treat the fish with medication in their food. All my fish looked extremely healthy and then I noticed the hole in the head and HLLE on a couple of them. It just goes to show you that all fish have at least one of the many parasites, worms, etc. Even if they look healthy. It stinks!

TBall
11/07/2010, 09:37 AM
I had a LMB fuggly who was like a part of the family. he begged like a dog for food, would eat anything, ate out of your hand, always had to sit on you if you were doing something in the tank. my dad keeps angling for a new one, but there isnt enough algae for them to eat, and I cant fid one already taking prepared food.

I also miss both my genicanthus sp. angels. Im still not sure what happened to my swallowtail; she was eating great and looking happy, putting on weight, growing, then she was hiding, and then the next day she was gone. I got a lamarck's after her, she used to follow me around from inside the tank, begged worse then the LMB, a little more pushy than the swallowtail, but still pretty peaceful. unfortionately I had to give her up when I downgraded from my 75g to my 29. still really upset that I did that, shes by far one of my favorite fish I ever had.

They are great pets. My bicolor blennie used to give me a love tap when i was cleaning near his home. It startled me when it first happened but he did it all the time from there on out. I wonder what the life span is for blennies?

pigmagnet
11/07/2010, 09:46 AM
just lost my buddy porky, the puffer. he stopped eating good and slowly died. had him for about 2 years and he followed me around the room. and he IS the fish in my avatar.

TBall
11/07/2010, 10:25 AM
just lost my buddy porky, the puffer. he stopped eating good and slowly died. had him for about 2 years and he followed me around the room. and he IS the fish in my avatar.

Once you get around to naming your fish then it becomes a tough loss. I never get personal with a fish until about the 3 month mark because then and only then does it seem like any parasites, fungus, or bacterial problem will show its face by then. My Blennies name was Blennard.

sue711
11/07/2010, 04:43 PM
....My Blennies name was Blennard.

I love that name!

TBall
11/07/2010, 05:27 PM
I love that name!

Thanks!!

scubasteve06
11/07/2010, 05:36 PM
I miss my diamond goby named gabe. He was a cool fish. When I moved my tank from my old house to my current place, I ditched my old sand bed. I went to the LFS the next day to get 120lbs. of new sand and when I came in he had freaked out without a burrow to call home and found a small opening in between the lighting eggcrate I use as a top for my tank and jumped out. To make matters worse, Fred our once feral now domesticated cat was playing with his body like a bowling pin, batting him around the house.:(

Added: And I love my little LMB, I think his little eyelashes are the coolest thing ever. He reminds me of old man river with his little frumpy face. He takes NLS pellets like a champ! Won't eat anything but NLS pellets and algae.

wrott
11/07/2010, 07:44 PM
There is a reason why some people unexpectedly lose fish, I hope you can figure that one out.
A tight lid and good food+good care and watching behavior everyday is how you keep fish alive--I hope none of you try to keep corals--a coral death is much more significant than a fish death--in terms of planetary survival.

TBall
11/07/2010, 07:44 PM
I miss my diamond goby named gabe. He was a cool fish. When I moved my tank from my old house to my current place, I ditched my old sand bed. I went to the LFS the next day to get 120lbs. of new sand and when I came in he had freaked out without a burrow to call home and found a small opening in between the lighting eggcrate I use as a top for my tank and jumped out. To make matters worse, Fred our once feral now domesticated cat was playing with his body like a bowling pin, batting him around the house.:(

Added: And I love my little LMB, I think his little eyelashes are the coolest thing ever. He reminds me of old man river with his little frumpy face. He takes NLS pellets like a champ! Won't eat anything but NLS pellets and algae.

I have a pink spotted goby. He loves to take members of my cleanup crew. Mainly dwarf ceriths and nassarius snails and bring them back into his home to do some cleaning and then lets them scurry out. Its too funny. LMB's are very cool. I ended up getting a tailspot blenny because i couldnt just replace my bicolor with another one like he never existed.

Porcupinepuffer
11/08/2010, 07:05 AM
I recently just lost my bicolor blenny a few weeks ago. Not sure where he went or what happened. All I know is that he went missing. It was my first fish from day one. He weathered the "new tank" period. A year ago he developed popeye and it was big and swollen all to hell. I thought I was going to lose him, but he pulled threw, lost the eye, and was good for quite some time. He had loads of personality. I miss him a lot.

TBall
11/08/2010, 09:26 AM
I recently just lost my bicolor blenny a few weeks ago. Not sure where he went or what happened. All I know is that he went missing. It was my first fish from day one. He weathered the "new tank" period. A year ago he developed popeye and it was big and swollen all to hell. I thought I was going to lose him, but he pulled threw, lost the eye, and was good for quite some time. He had loads of personality. I miss him a lot.

You still havent found him? Maybe he is hiding in the rockwork. They can go places in the tank that normal fish couldnt think about going.

89Foxbody
11/08/2010, 09:56 AM
Lost my Coral Beauty a few weeks ago. Was the first salt fish that I had die. I was pretty frustrated that I wasn't able to help/fix it at all. Crappy feeling.

TBall
11/08/2010, 12:43 PM
Lost my Coral Beauty a few weeks ago. Was the first salt fish that I had die. I was pretty frustrated that I wasn't able to help/fix it at all. Crappy feeling.

Thats the worst feeling in the world. At least when our dog or cat gets sick we can take them to the vet right away. With fish its all in our hands...pretty stressful.

allsps40
11/08/2010, 01:00 PM
Yeah I miss ever sps I ever bought that did not make it. My reef would be so full and colorful. Plus I would not fee like I wasted money.

Alysiak00
11/08/2010, 01:23 PM
i lost my occi clown that i had for almost 5 years. he was unique because he would let you pet him. at feeding time he would let you pet him before feeding time, then eat and swim like it was the best day in the world. poor guy :(

TBall
11/08/2010, 01:29 PM
i lost my occi clown that i had for almost 5 years. he was unique because he would let you pet him. at feeding time he would let you pet him before feeding time, then eat and swim like it was the best day in the world. poor guy :(

I would have to say that clowns next to blennies and goby's have the best personality among fish.

Kweli
11/08/2010, 01:46 PM
I had a yellow clown goby that i enjoyed watching.... Unfortunatly he infected my other tankmates with ICH and jumped out...

Was pretty upsetting for multiple reasons...

potterjon
11/08/2010, 01:49 PM
I guess you stop caring so much when you stop naming your fish. I recently lost my PBT and I do miss his/her beauty. My bank account misses a whole lot of fish and coral though. :)

aleonn
11/08/2010, 03:24 PM
Lost my wife's blue tang 6 months ago. She had it for a couple of years and had quite a personality. One day I decided to try to trap 3 mantis shrimp menaces by taking out all the live rocks. Unfortunately, as a newbie, I didn't put the rocks in a bucket of water. Instead I let them dry overnight, and then reintroduced the rocks into the tank the following afternoon. I started a big cycle and lost the tang :(. Fortunately, the wife's 5yo clownfish somehow survived that disaster, though.

TBall
11/08/2010, 07:37 PM
Lost my wife's blue tang 6 months ago. She had it for a couple of years and had quite a personality. One day I decided to try to trap 3 mantis shrimp menaces by taking out all the live rocks. Unfortunately, as a newbie, I didn't put the rocks in a bucket of water. Instead I let them dry overnight, and then reintroduced the rocks into the tank the following afternoon. I started a big cycle and lost the tang :(. Fortunately, the wife's 5yo clownfish somehow survived that disaster, though.

I had a clownfish for 6 years. A gold strip maroon clownfish. He was through so much in my tank he could have wrote a memoirs about it.

Porcupinepuffer
11/09/2010, 06:49 AM
Unfortunately, as a newbie, I didn't put the rocks in a bucket of water. Instead I let them dry overnight, and then reintroduced the rocks into the tank the following afternoon.

Holy cow you were a newb and a half on that one. But I take it by your signature of all your equipment you've come a long way since then? Or so I hope!

TBall
11/09/2010, 10:24 AM
We have all learned at least one lesson the hard way in this hobby.

etepperman
11/09/2010, 11:24 AM
Flame angle. Lived for 8 years and then never saw him again :(

Shaqinwi 65
11/09/2010, 11:48 AM
Two Spot Bristletoth Tang. Man I loved that fish. Lost him during a flat work killing session. Have never seen one for sale since

IAReefer
11/09/2010, 01:04 PM
I lost favorite fish, a Kole Tang. He was the best fish ever, always had lots of spunk, was always showing off and ate more than any fish I've ever seen. My wife called me at work and told me about it. I begged her to take it out so I didn't have to see him like that. Only the good die young..... :(

TBall
11/09/2010, 02:08 PM
Flame angle. Lived for 8 years and then never saw him again :(

8 Years!! Holy Cow! Thats a good run for a pygmy angel! Isnt it the smaller the fish the shorter the life span? If it is then having that fish for 8 years is quite an accomplishment.

TBall
11/09/2010, 02:10 PM
Two Spot Bristletoth Tang. Man I loved that fish. Lost him during a flat work killing session. Have never seen one for sale since

Here you go! http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+2628&pcatid=2628
one for 29 bucks

TBall
11/09/2010, 07:14 PM
I recently lost my bicolor blenny to hole in the head disease. I treated all the fish with metronidazole and they all got better but him. He was like a dog, like a member of the family. So sad. I told myself I would never get another bicolor again because then its like you replaced him as if he meant nothing. So there is now a tailspot blenny in my tank and hopefully i can catch anything in time that could happen to him because he is full of personality.

Thanks for all the responses. It feels good to vent every once in a while.

scubasteve06
11/09/2010, 07:24 PM
I have a pink spotted goby. He loves to take members of my cleanup crew. Mainly dwarf ceriths and nassarius snails and bring them back into his home to do some cleaning and then lets them scurry out. Its too funny. LMB's are very cool. I ended up getting a tailspot blenny because i couldnt just replace my bicolor with another one like he never existed.

My dad thinks that benny my LMB is ugly and that I should trade him in for a prettier fish. I told him I could never do that because of the personality he has. He responded with, "what personality he's a slug, I didn't know slugs could have personalities" :sad2:Some people just don't understand how personable blennies really are.

TBall
11/09/2010, 07:56 PM
My dad thinks that benny my LMB is ugly and that I should trade him in for a prettier fish. I told him I could never do that because of the personality he has. He responded with, "what personality he's a slug, I didn't know slugs could have personalities" :sad2:Some people just don't understand how personable blennies really are.

You should have your dad sit in front of the tank for ten minutes and whatch him. I bet the blenny will put a performance on for him. Then see if he still has the same opinion. hahaha

scubasteve06
11/09/2010, 08:20 PM
You should have your dad sit in front of the tank for ten minutes and whatch him. I bet the blenny will put a performance on for him. Then see if he still has the same opinion. hahaha

Funny thing is he does. His chair is 1 ft. from the tank as he wanted it that way. I guess I am lucky to have one of my parents almost as involved in my tank as I am. He doesn't understand how a lot of the stuff works, just that it does. He has helped me build my stand, sump, and now working on canopy. I would love to have 'my' chair in front of the tank, but it is their house, so I cannot complain since they let me move back in with them for free:) His favorite fish is my Hawkfish. He loves how he stands on his pectoral fins and just takes off does a lap around the tank and then goes right back to the same spot.

etepperman
11/09/2010, 08:22 PM
8 Years!! Holy Cow! Thats a good run for a pygmy angel! Isnt it the smaller the fish the shorter the life span? If it is then having that fish for 8 years is quite an accomplishment.

Yeah, it was one of my first fish. Went through my whole learning curve and made it to the other side.

I recall the day I bought him because at the time Flames were about $85 here in Canada. Fish were generally more expensive at that time, and the dollar was really bad. I felt kinda worried that this guy would not make it a week, and that I may have wasted a good clutch of dough. To this day still the most expensive fish I have purchased, but was worth every penny. :)

- E

scubasteve06
11/09/2010, 08:26 PM
Yeah, it was one of my first fish. Went through my whole learning curve and made it to the other side.

I recall the day I bought him because at the time Flames were about $85 here in Canada. Fish were generally more expensive at that time, and the dollar was really bad. I felt kinda worried that this guy would not make it a week, and that I may have wasted a good clutch of dough. To this day still the most expensive fish I have purchased, but was worth every penny. :)

- E

Wow, 85 for a Flame Angel. I really can't speak as I took my Scopas Tang whom I've had for 6 months in today for credit to put down for a hold on a Flame Angel that is 59.99. I could have gotten one for cheaper, but this is the only store I will buy livestock from as they have a great supplier and this store QT's for a month before putting the fish on display. Since I have gotten to know the owner more he let's me in the back to see the new shipments when they arrive to get 'dibs' on anything I see that I may want. I could buy them right then when I see them, but I would not get his 7 day guarantee if I did.

TBall
11/09/2010, 08:50 PM
Wow, 85 for a Flame Angel. I really can't speak as I took my Scopas Tang whom I've had for 6 months in today for credit to put down for a hold on a Flame Angel that is 59.99. I could have gotten one for cheaper, but this is the only store I will buy livestock from as they have a great supplier and this store QT's for a month before putting the fish on display. Since I have gotten to know the owner more he let's me in the back to see the new shipments when they arrive to get 'dibs' on anything I see that I may want. I could buy them right then when I see them, but I would not get his 7 day guarantee if I did.

That sounds like a sweet deal with that fish store! My dad helps me out with mine. Its a 125 and i started it when i was in college. So I couldnt just up and move it to my apartment. It gives them something to look at especially during the cold northeast winters.