PDA

View Full Version : Emergency, Help Please!

chasekwe
11/06/2010, 03:12 PM
Hi folks,

Thanks for taking a look. In the past 2 days I've lost 2 fish who appeared perfectly healthy at night and never reappeared the next day. All my other fish looked fine so I was worried, but didn't really have any ideas.

This morning I awoke to find my Potter's Angel looking absolutely terrible. Now, I noticed his breathing appeared mildly heavier yesterday but didn't think much of it. He was also rubbing against the rocks, but I had just been messing with some of my flow and had some microbubbles in the tank that I thought had been irritating him. He has also been bugging my cleaner shrimp a bit more lately which I attributed to the same thing. Well, apparently not!

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/chasekwe/dis1.jpg
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/chasekwe/dis2.jpg
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/chasekwe/dis3.jpg

Can anybody tell me what this is and what I need to do please? I have a 15 gallon hospital tank setup that should be ready to accept patients any time. I have formalin-3 and something my LFS sold me for anti-bacterial. But I can get whatever else.

I'll do whatever, just let me know, dips, treatments etc. As of now all of my other fish look normal and are acting normal.

Few extra notes:
This is the first day he hasn't eaten, was a piggy yesterday.
The flesh right around his lips/mouth is so sunken it looks like his mouth may fall off.
He is breathing very heavily, gills flared, and hasn't closed his mouth that I've seen at all.
He is more shy, spending 90% of his time in the area where I photographed him. He is normally all over the tank.
Last thing I added was a cleaner shrimp a couple days ago. Nothing else recently.
Parameters are all in check, did a 25% WC on Thursday for general maintenance.
The other 2 fish I lost were a Flasher Wrasse and Female Ocellaris.

chasekwe
11/06/2010, 07:50 PM
Please guys 15 views and not one person can even link me to directions on what I should do? I'll be surprised if this fish survives the night like this and it's getting late now.

Kieth71
11/06/2010, 08:16 PM
If it was me i would get him and any other remaining fish in that qt and dose it with cupramine.I cant say for sure but almost looks like brooks a but i could be wrong.Any new additions to the tank before you started loseing fish?Either way copper would take care of velvet and crypto so you are covering a few diffrent problems.

niqiri
11/06/2010, 08:18 PM
I would try an extended bath in something like Paraguard. I'm not sure what it is but it's probably your best shot unless someone can ID the disease/parasite.

mgurule
11/06/2010, 08:20 PM
i would definitely put in the sick tank before other stuff gets sick. do you see any spots or lesions? try some sulfa maybe

chasekwe
11/07/2010, 10:34 AM
Well, thanks guys.

He didn't make it more than an hour after my second post. Currently I still have 4 fish all of whom still show no signs of the disease. Should I be doing anything for them or play a wait-and-see game and only treat if symptoms arise?

Thanks

Kieth71
11/07/2010, 10:38 AM
If it was me i would assume that they are all sick and get them out and treat them.I am guessing velvet if they died that quick.Did you add anything new to the tank recently?Do you qt your new fish?You can play the wait and see game but you may end up with all the fish dead.If you decide to take them out and treat i would leave that tank fallow for 3 months.It may seem like overkill but thats just what i would do-Kieth

chasekwe
11/07/2010, 03:54 PM
I added a cleaner shrimp recently. That's it. Thanks for the advice, I'll do my best.