PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted on my stocking list

nterry
11/06/2010, 04:22 PM
Hi,

Planning a new 120 gallon reef tank. Here are the species I am looking at. What are the problems with this mix. I am particularly concerned with the compatibility between dottybacks and dwarf angels. And yes, this is an "overstocked" tank. I put overstocked in quotes because I'm not planning on putting them all in, just thought I'd throw up my limited wishlist and ID big problems early:

dwarf angels: flame, coral beauty, elbi, pearlscale/halfblack, and cherub/pygmy. Any chance all five would work? I rather doubt it, so I am thinking of one of the two groups: 1) flame+pearlscale+cherub or c.b.+ elbi+cherub.

dottybacks: neon, springer, orchid, sunrise, bicolor, diadem. Worried that the orchid, springer and sunrise would get beaten by angels. Worried that neon/bicolor would beat on the angels or each other. Thoughts?

Tangs: yellow, hepatus, achilles. Scott Michael suggests 120 is just above minimum size for any of these. How hazardous would mixing be?

Others: triggerfish (niger or bluejaw), butterflyfish (copperband or yellownose), comet, snowflake eel, lyretail anthias, scott's fairy wrasse, longnose hawkfish, mandarin

Always looking for advice and opinions because I find stocking a tank to be very complicated. So many varaibles! My biggest question is which of these fish won't mix well with the others. Seems the easiest way to take a limited wish list down to a viable stocking list.

Cheers

nate