PDA

View Full Version : Moving... taking tank with me

Evi1Monkey
11/06/2010, 05:27 PM
So I'm going to be moving and am obviosly taking my tank with me. It's only a 55-gallon, so it's not too bad, but I have to move twice... I'm moving in with my Fiancée for a month or two, the moving to Oklahoma City.

So, a few questions. I currently have 2 tanks, my 55, and an empty 25 gallon.

I am planning on setting up the 25 gallon at the Fiancée's so it doesn't take up as much space. What is the best way to handle this?

A few concerns:
Sand - Right now I have like an inch to 1 1/2 in in the 25. Should I move all the sand to the 25 making an almost 3 inch sandbed? Also should I move all of it at once into the 25? Should I keep 1/2, clean and store the other half?
Water - What would be the best way to handle the move? 25 new gallons of water? Or take 25 From the existing and place it in the 25?

I can do all the moving in 1 day with the tank equipment, I just want to make sure I can do both moves without killing the fish... I only have 3 chromis and a skunk shrimp ( and a few CUC), but still. Anything would help :)

gbtrain
11/06/2010, 06:11 PM
I know when I moved (just across town) with my 75 gal I use Rubbermaid Brute cans that I put my Live Rock and about 50% of my water in them. As for my fish I put them in a storage tote with a lid and had a Battery powered air pump. I dont know about the sand, when I did it I put new sand in. Didn't lose any fish. Good luck

Agu
11/06/2010, 07:14 PM
I'd set up the 25 with new sand and a piece or two of live rock about 1/2 filled with water and a powerhread/airpump for circulation. If possible leave it like that for a couple of days.

Then tear down the tank and move it with live rock separate from the livestock in a few containers. You want a few containers because the contents of a 55 are heavy. What you'll discover is the moving water can get really dirty. That's why the receiving tank is 1/2 full already.

If you want to reuse the old sand rinse it out and dry it for re installation in the 55 at your next move. Transferring an existing sandbed can get really messy and release a lot of waste.

Evi1Monkey
11/06/2010, 08:51 PM
Ok sounds good. I do hope to reuse the old sand, as I"m short on money at the moment...

How should I store the sand from the 55? It will be out of commission either till dec 1st or jan 2st.

Evi1Monkey
11/07/2010, 09:46 AM
Ok, so current agenda stands at this:

Move 1 to Claremore:
-setup 25 gallon tank in claremore. Include new sandbed, and 2 or 3 peices of LR from 55 gallon.
-do a 15 gallon water change on 55 gallon, moving the 15 gallons to the 25 gallon
-place one of my maxjets + the venturi for bubbles in 25 gallon along with my spare heater
-Let sit for 3 or 4 days (will this be good enough?)
-Move rest of LR and livestock into 25 gallon, using water from the 55 to fill the rest the way.
-Clean, dry, and store 55 gallon w/ Sand (still not sure how to dry/store sand)

Move to OKC:
-Setup 55 gallon with dried sand

Not sure on the 2nd part. I'm assuming best way would be to do a large water change on the 25, taking 1/2 out and moving that 1/2 to the 55 with a few pieces of rock, and setting up the maxjet again in the 55. I'd prolly also fill the 55 1/2 way with new water, leaving around 25 gallons free.
Let that sit for a week or so, then move the rest to rock, water, and the lifestock to OKC.

Would that work? or should I do that differently?

Agu
11/08/2010, 08:06 AM
Ok sounds good. I do hope to reuse the old sand, as I"m short on money at the moment...

How should I store the sand from the 55? It will be out of commission either till dec 1st or jan 2st.

Rinse it well and dry it completely. I dry the sand in small batches in a large shallow rubbermaid tub. If you can aim a fan at it or set it in the sun it dries a lot faster. You'll also want to stir it once in a while. Prior to putting it back in the 55 give it a final rinse with ro/di water. You'll be surprised how much crud will rise out of the dried sand.

Evi1Monkey
11/08/2010, 04:58 PM
Ok thanks.

I've finished step one, have the 25 up with ~15 gals from my 55 in claremore with a heater and my maxjet going. For good measures, I threw my used filterpad from the penguin in the mix too, for some extra surface area where bacteria has grown.

I got the sand instead of Pink fiji for the sandbed, and almost like the look better. I"ll have to do some research on benifits and such of each type, but think the brown sand looks almost "cooler" then the pink fiji.

Dustin1300
11/08/2010, 05:43 PM
GL. Good move on the filter pad as it has some good bacteria on it. Moving is no fun. I've moved a 55 gallon before and will soon be moving a 75 gallon!

Evi1Monkey
11/15/2010, 11:19 AM
Well the 25 is setup and running seemingly well. Everyone seems to have survived. I need to landscape the rocks, they are all on the sandbed looking pitiful, but I am HORRIBLE at trying to stack these things...

We did find a weird looking white plant on the bottom of one of the rocks though... need to figure out what it is. I'll get a pic of the tank and of the plant when I can and update :)

I also need to clean the equipment off... not looking forward to it but needs to be done...

Evi1Monkey
11/16/2010, 09:31 AM
Well, from teh googles, the plant seems to be aiptaisia... fun... And unfortunately it decided to attach itself to the rock I have my only 2 colts (? I think) on... >.< Took me like 30 minutes 6 months ago to wedge those bad boys in the rock to keep them in place.

Here are some pics. First is my 2 fro $6 from my LFS plants, and the 2nd two are pics of the possible aiptasia

Evi1Monkey
12/22/2010, 01:17 PM
Well, I'm moved, found a pretty decent house up in Guthrie!

Unfortunately, the utility's down payments cost just as much as first month's rent and deposit for house... and my savings for moving is gone. So until I get a job and get a paycheck or two, I can't pay to fill my tank, and it's going to sit down in Claremore for a month or so... :( Anyone know any places hiring right now? I'm looking for a techie / customer service rep position preferably, but will prolly be willing to take anything that pays at least $10 an hour.

On the upside, I have a large living room and can put the tank at an angle, so I can fit my sump behind it without needing a new stand, and finally get it running! I've had the equipment for like 9 months but didn't have the stand / room to set it up.