PDA

View Full Version : Mixing salt brands...

sn4265
11/06/2010, 09:12 PM
I actually setup my new 120 gal tank today. I don't have an RO/DI unit as of yet, but it is absolutely planned as being a future purchase. In order to fill my tank I had to get water from two different LFS that use different brands of salt. I got 40 gal of Instant Ocean from one place and 80 gal of SeaChem (I think) from the other. I intend to use the second store for water and much of my livestock going forward.

The first store kind of chewed me out about mixing salt brands. I'm not sure if part of her motivation was simply losing business though. I didn't think this would be a huge issue on a new tank since I have nothing in it but sand and rock. I wouldn't have done this if I had any animals in the tank.

Is this really a problem? Thanks in advance.

adamfajge
11/06/2010, 09:25 PM
You will be ok with the mixing of the brands. If its all mixed all it does it just change the overall numbers a little. Instant Ocean in general is not a high end salt. I am using the Brightwells Neomarine now and like it a lot. I also recommend Tropic Marin Pro Reef. Just use a quality salt or you will have issues.

Get an RODI soon before you start having algae problems. Its easier to prevent problems than to fix them.

milkman55
11/07/2010, 07:42 AM
I purposely mix 50% Instant Ocean with 50% Oceanic salt to get the higher calcium and mag from the Oceanic with the lower cost of the IO. It is a very common mix in my area where you can buy it locally already mixed 50/50.

I would not mix two brands together without a reason or constantly switch to whatever is on sale as it would make too rapid of change to the tank.

bertoni
11/07/2010, 02:36 PM
Lots of people mix salt products without problems. Those two brands should be fine together.

allsps40
11/07/2010, 06:19 PM
You will be ok with the mixing of the brands. If its all mixed all it does it just change the overall numbers a little. Instant Ocean in general is not a high end salt. I am using the Brightwells Neomarine now and like it a lot. I also recommend Tropic Marin Pro Reef. Just use a quality salt or you will have issues.

Get an RODI soon before you start having algae problems. Its easier to prevent problems than to fix them.
Could not have said it better myself. Mixing salts will not hurt anything. As said above many people mix IO and Oceanic they balance each other out and are cheap. Once you start making your own water you should find a good salt and stick with it. Stability is keep in a reef.