PDA

View Full Version : SPS coral ?

SaltwaterAdict
11/07/2010, 11:07 AM
I love the look of a bunch of fish with corals..makes it look more natural like what you'd see if you went snorkeling. I see to many sps tanks with only a few fish and this not my cup of tea lol How do you control your nitrate/phosphate levels with a good amount of fish in a tank? I'm looking to keep sps and was wondering how you keep the nutrient level low.. WC's, carbon/phos reactors, different reactors/media? If you could lmk what works for you that'd be great.

thanks, Tim

pw154
11/07/2010, 11:15 AM
many hobbyists with SPS dominated tanks with lots of fish run vodka to keep nitrate/phosphate levels down.

Potsy
11/07/2010, 11:19 AM
Watch the video in this month's tank-of-the-month feature. Dozens of fish. People also use some kind bio-pellet system to keep nitrates down.

James404
11/07/2010, 11:33 AM
As stated its usually accomplished with some sort of carbon dosing, whether it be vodka, biopellets or zeovit etc.. along with heavy skimming.

SaltwaterAdict
11/07/2010, 02:03 PM
Great advise guys. Anyone else like to share?

SaltwaterAdict
11/07/2010, 02:06 PM
I was actually thinking of trying to keep it simple and run the least amount of things as possible. IMO, with added vodka, biopellets I think you could run into trouble. Say I stopped dosing vodka, my tank wouldn't probably do so hot because the corals wouldn't be used to how I previously had my system. Also, I'm not to sure about biopellets. They seem way to new and many people are having varying affects. Some people say they work, some say they didn't do anything. I'd like some real solid proof they work..;)

SaltwaterAdict
11/11/2010, 01:50 PM
bump