PDA

View Full Version : 250 DD sump/overflow design advice

KrazyOnetime
11/07/2010, 01:09 PM
I am about to recieve my 250g marineland DD and still have not decided on a sump design. I have a 55g tank diy'd into a sump for my 135g but wanted something wider and maybe not as long for this new tank. It also was my first diy sump and has a minor flaw, all the flow runs through my refugium as it is placed in the center of the sump. I was thinking of using a 10g for the refugium and connecting it to a 40g breeder for a sump. Will this be enough volume for the 250g? I haven't decided on the exact overflow design either.I thought I would use all four 1" bottom holes for drains and cut out every other one of the overflow fins but the exact method has not yet been determined.These Marineland DD tanks with cornerflow design need some type of modification to be able to handle SPS tank type flow. Any suggestions or ideas will help tremendously. Thanks

uncleof6
11/07/2010, 02:04 PM
A rather subjective question, but I would say no not a sufficient volume. If you consider a beneficial "fuge" would be in the 25 gallon range, not to mention you probably won't like the performance of a split tank system-- they work sorta, but not as well as claimed-- unless you plumb them like a display tank with overflow drain, and pump fed.

Production tanks are limited in volume for a sump, and tanks with the 250's footprint beg for custom sumps in the 48 - 50" length range and 22 - 24" width (front to back.) Well big tanks = big bucks anyway.

You are right, but making any reef-not-ready tank "reef ready" requires some work-- and expense, in the overflow/drain size department. Up to and including removing the overflows, and punching out the back of the tank from a C2C overflow, using bean's drain system--by far the best setup you can do hands down. Kinda undoes the added expense for "RR" tanks........

Johnsy85
11/07/2010, 03:19 PM
what is the foot print of the 250?

uncleof6
11/07/2010, 03:38 PM
60" x 36" x 27"

teesquare
11/07/2010, 04:03 PM
3 suggestions:
1. Much bigger sump.
2. Cut out the overflows, and build in a different one. A Coast to Coast style.
3. See the "Silent and Failsafe Overflow thread a few down from this on in the same section.

And - if you want to look at what insanity can do with a tank like yours: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1762906&highlight=holy+reefer
T

uncleof6
11/07/2010, 04:25 PM
3 suggestions:
1. Much bigger sump.
2. Cut out the overflows, and build in a different one. A Coast to Coast style.
3. See the "Silent and Failsafe Overflow thread a few down from this on in the same section.

And - if you want to look at what insanity can do with a tank like yours: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1762906&highlight=holy+reefer
T

Snickers..........

KrazyOnetime
11/07/2010, 09:19 PM
How does one go about "punching" out the rear glass for the ctc overflow?

ChadTheSpike
11/07/2010, 10:27 PM
I am also playing with a sump design for the same size tank, this is what I came up with.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/uploads/1288836073/gallery_2632346_836_72126.jpg

1) frag/refugium area
2) skimmer and other stuff area
3) return area

I just noticed that I forgot to add my height... it is 16"

uncleof6
11/07/2010, 11:00 PM
How does one go about "punching" out the rear glass for the ctc overflow?

with a glass hole saw of course.

KrazyOnetime
11/12/2010, 09:47 PM
Chad the spike thats a nice design.How many gallons will it hold?

KrazyOnetime
11/13/2010, 10:32 PM
I thought you were talking about removing a 1/2 inch piece along the top of the back for the water to run over to a outside box.

allsps40
11/13/2010, 10:48 PM
Dont make thing over complicated. Go with your plan to use all 4 holes as drains and cut out some of the overflow fins for more volume. You can run return lines over the back of the tank to something like an Ocean Motion 4 way. I would go with the largest sump you can fit. I personally like the center fuge sump design. That way all the water goes through the fuge before returning to the tank. Here is how I like my sumps set up. First section is overflow and skimmer, so the skimmer polish the water first. Second the fuge section to reduce nutrients. Then the return section, having it after the fuge lets pods and plankton into the display for the fish and corals to feed on.

KrazyOnetime
11/14/2010, 07:19 PM
I agree and thats how I did my 1st but I realized that having the fuge seperate with its own supply from the drain, going in the sump after the return/skimmer section allows (a)control of refugium flow (b) more flow to go through sump without blowing through the fuge,i've gotten better results from my fuge with a little more "contact" time.