PDA

View Full Version : copedpods in top off resevoir

pompeyjohn
11/07/2010, 01:12 PM
So I have been reading up on this.

It seems that most copepods will grow fine in freshwater, but they are likely to die from a salinity shock when entering the DT.

Do they need to be alive in the DT though? If not, then............ fuge and top off reservoir combined?!

here is the link that has got me wondering: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/breeder2.htm

Tat2demon
11/07/2010, 02:46 PM
Your topoff should be coming from a clean container. Even if they could live in freshwater theres no food nor a reason to have them in there.

Pallobi
11/07/2010, 02:53 PM
i second that, how would they of gotten in your top off? curious

i take it your not talking about your own top off...

Sk8r
11/07/2010, 02:57 PM
I have 54g display: I have about a 20g fuge, and a 32 gallon topoff reservoir.
You are much better putting the pods into the fuge---where your moss has to be for the 24/7 light. Moss is where the pods live (and the sand and rock under it) and breed. If you had them in the topoff, they'd be going there at a salinity deficit, and would be in bad shape and probably toward inedible by the time they went through yet one more pump to get to your display. One pump---the odds are with them. Besides, they may well survive the whole round trip back to the fuge, if they escape the fish, and start the cycle again, breeding and then getting sucked back to the display. Life is a set of circular trips if you're a copepod.

Pallobi
11/07/2010, 03:00 PM
jus read a good amount of the article... good stuff, but didnt see too much on keeping them in fresh water... thanks for sharing the info though :)

pompeyjohn
11/07/2010, 05:04 PM
Your topoff should be coming from a clean container. Even if they could live in freshwater theres no food nor a reason to have them in there.

I don't need a lecture about top-off water. If that was not your intent, then I apologize. Your replay came over as hectoring. I fully understand the purpose and requirements of a top-off system. You are thinking in purely historical terms, and I think, too small.

There are many aquarists who do not run a sump, but do have a top-off water reservoir, for them this may be something worth investigating.

It certainly worth investigating, and not dismissing.

pompeyjohn
11/07/2010, 05:06 PM
i second that, how would they of gotten in your top off? curious

They have not. I have a sump with a full refugium.

You are right, I am not. I am interested in experimenting with new methods of drip feeding. I am interested in the idea of drip feeding food.

pompeyjohn
11/07/2010, 05:11 PM
I have 54g display: I have about a 20g fuge, and a 32 gallon topoff reservoir.
You are much better putting the pods into the fuge---where your moss has to be for the 24/7 light. Moss is where the pods live (and the sand and rock under it) and breed. If you had them in the topoff, they'd be going there at a salinity deficit, and would be in bad shape and probably toward inedible by the time they went through yet one more pump to get to your display. One pump---the odds are with them. Besides, they may well survive the whole round trip back to the fuge, if they escape the fish, and start the cycle again, breeding and then getting sucked back to the display. Life is a set of circular trips if you're a copepod.

Just to clarify, the idea would be to cultivate a freshwater habitat for them at well. Not just have them floating around.

I am pretty confident they would die through salinity shock. I don't know if that would make them inedible though.

I AM 100% IN AGREEMENT THAT A FUGE SHOULD BE IN THE NORMAL SUMP.

However, I am interested in sump less setups that use a freshwater resevoir - and drip feeding of food into the tank in such a system.

Pallobi
11/07/2010, 05:15 PM
auto frip feeding... sounds like something worth looking into... i now see where you are coming from... a worth while venture, GL my friend, let us know if you do :)

Palting
11/07/2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the link! I was looking into not doing supplementary feeding for the coral, and make sure the fuge is a true pod farm which will be the sole food source other than coral photosynthesis. The link is perfect!

Reading through the link for your question, though, the pod cuture medium appears to be just another refugium, whether you use fresh water or saltwater. You'd have to provide light, airflow, and maintain water quality. Not typical of the top-off reservoir.

wrott
11/07/2010, 06:23 PM
Yeah, it cannot be a top-off reservoir, there are no nutrients=no food for your supposed FW pods??, it's just another fuge--so just make it SW and stop trying to complicate things. SOme people.

pompeyjohn
11/07/2010, 06:25 PM
Yeah, it cannot be a top-off reservoir, there are no nutrients=no food for your supposed FW pods??, it's just another fuge--so just make it SW and stop trying to complicate things. SOme people.

SOme people.

***?!

RocketEngineer
11/08/2010, 08:23 AM
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-07/nftt/index.php

or

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-10/nftt/index.php

serpentman
11/08/2010, 08:57 AM
Although auto-drip feeding food is a worth while pursuit. I see absolutely no benefit from cultivating FW pods. First, nutritionally, they are likely to be lacking in omega-3. Second, since most crustaceans do not osmoregulate quickly, the salinity shock will likely kill them. Third, in order to feed them in your ATO reservoir, you are likely going to need to add FW diatom algae which will ultimately add to your bioload with little or no nutritional benefit to your livestock.

I would focus efforts to cultivate marine species so that those that are not eaten right away will reproduce in the tank offering a consistent food supply.

pompeyjohn
11/08/2010, 09:01 AM
Although auto-drip feeding food is a worth while pursuit. I see absolutely no benefit from cultivating FW pods. First, nutritionally, they are likely to be lacking in omega-3. Second, since most crustaceans do not osmoregulate quickly, the salinity shock will likely kill them. Third, in order to feed them in your ATO reservoir, you are likely going to need to add FW diatom algae which will ultimately add to your bioload with little or no nutritional benefit to your livestock.

I would focus efforts to cultivate marine species so that those that are not eaten right away will reproduce in the tank offering a consistent food supply.

That is a great response - thank you. Also thanks to RocketEngineer for the interesting links.

The lack of omega-3 does seem to be a big issue. As for the salinity shock, yeah I expect them to die. Which might not be an issue if the feeding line went straight into the DT. I don't know. This is all just blue sky thinking at the moment. I need to read up on diatom algae. Thanks again for the great response.