PDA

View Full Version : Chromis

mallorieGgator
11/07/2010, 04:08 PM
So, I was wanting to keep a pair of anthias in my tank but apparently it's to small. So, I was wondering if 2 chromis would be ok in a 55 gallon with 2 oscellaris clowns, a LM blenny, and a longnose hawkfish. I was also planning on a CBB to help with majano nems in tank. We're probably going to upgrade to a 120 or so in the future (maybe next fall) so all these fish would go into the 120.

Sk8r
11/07/2010, 04:13 PM
No butterfly: fragile, death-prone, and advanced-only. Chromis would be good, but 1 or 3. They seem to do better in odd numbers. Get yourself a trio of juvenile peppermint shrimp. They're clowns and pests, but SOME will eat baby nems.
Don't worry about majanos if you only have 1 or two. 20--that's a problem.

mallorieGgator
11/07/2010, 04:31 PM
I have two peppermints already, they don't do crap. I have ~ 7-10 majanos and some aptaisia. I tried aptaisia x and it just peed off them and they multiplied! My LFS can get some really healthy CBB and I've seen them come in and they're eating and healthy.

mcosta528
11/07/2010, 05:55 PM
My majanos were a pain too.... i solved the problem by irritating them with aiptasia x so they shrink up, then burying them under a small piece of epoxy http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3962
it will get covered by coraline sooner or later and wont be noticeable

mallorieGgator
11/07/2010, 06:00 PM
I have epoxy. I tried covering them with epoxy and they just moved out from under it. lol. I'll try shrinking them with the aiptasia rx and them epoxying them.

keith sprague
11/07/2010, 06:01 PM
5 chromis would look awesome. CBB under right conditions will be ok.ive had one for 2 1/2 yrs before.

Indymann99
11/07/2010, 06:08 PM
I have a group of 4 Chromis. Started w 6 in QT but 2 were "eliminated" in the first week. The group of 4 have been stable for 1+ yr.

The are great for adding movement in the tank.

vid below
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/th_SNC00194.jpg (http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/?action=view&current=SNC00194.mp4)

mcosta528
11/07/2010, 06:10 PM
i like royal grammas... they start off small but when you get them to reach over 3" they develop a deep purple and easily become a favorite in the tank :)
other good good choices: 1) pygmy angels are nice, coral beauties..(may nip corals)
2) I love my jawfish... so funny to watch (messy cave builder though)
3) sixline wrass, eightline wrass, melanurus wrasse
..menlanurus, sixline, eightline will feed off tiny buglike things in tanks :) plus anything else you feed, i also like how the sixlines flip up their dorsal fins when you get close to the tank
4) Gobies, though i dont know much about them

mcosta528
11/07/2010, 06:14 PM
sometimes the places we cover the epoxy with are very porous.. i needed to take a couple tries at the epoxy method. I had about 17 majanos. The first epoxy they mostly disappeared. A few weeks later 2 more popped up, i epoxied them down. Now, no more majanos :)

- if they sneak through a crack... GET EM!!!!