PDA

View Full Version : Tank size question

2_zoa
11/07/2010, 06:11 PM
I have done a little bit of reading and I have a lot more to do but. I have seen a lot on tank sizes and I would like to know why they are fairly small? I have a 75 that I want to setup but, I don't want it to be too large.

Anybody care to share some info?

rayjay
11/07/2010, 11:24 PM
Basic tank recommendations for normal seahorses is minimum 29g for one pair with 15g extra for each additional pair.
Because seahorses basically cause dirty tanks that leave them with bacterial infections leading to death, you need more water, lower temperatures, and better husbandry than a normal reef tank.
Your 75 would be suitable for up to 8 normal seahorses even when they are full grown.

MY THOUGHTS ON SEAHORSE KEEPING (http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/seahorsekeeping.html)

namxas
11/08/2010, 01:49 PM
I'd just like to add that SH will use every bit of space you give them, so a 75 isn't crazy big for a SH setup.

Peka
11/08/2010, 02:28 PM
I keep horses in a 90 gallon and just as greg said, they use every bit of it.

2_zoa
11/08/2010, 06:12 PM
Rayjay. I've been all over your site. I probibly don't remember as much as I should due to over reading in one session. I will go back through your info.

Peka. Are you by chance the Beth that wrote the article in advanced aquarist?

Namxas. Thank you for the info.

I understand that my tank can hold more horses but, I'm not interested in that. I want my pair to have as much room as possible. I'm not big on over stocking a tank. My whole point is to watch them go from here to there or, be in a different part of the tank when I get home from work. So it sounds like I should be golden with using my 75.

Thanks for the help.

99mstng
11/09/2010, 08:56 AM
Great info here . . . I went to the Shedd aquarium when I was in Chicago with my fiance last weekend and she like the seahorses the best, so it looks like I'm getting some of those lol

Peka
11/09/2010, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=2_zoa;17898007]Peka. Are you by chance the Beth that wrote the article in advanced aquarist?
QUOTE]

Nope.. it wasn't me... sorry..... hmmm... I might have to write something now :D