PDA

View Full Version : Something eating my snails??

artemus
11/07/2010, 08:26 PM
I have what I thought was some sort of snail in my aquarium and noticed it had been "mounted" on the back of one of my astreae snails for much longer then the occasional accidental stroll across another snails shell.. Also noticed that the astreae snail had been closed up for about a day, so my curiosity got the best of me and I pulled them apart to find that what ever was on the back of this guy had put a millimeter hole in its shell and seemed to be feeding off of it?? Anyone have any idea what this maybe?

Thanks

mcosta528
11/07/2010, 08:28 PM
an alien

olemiss reb
11/07/2010, 08:29 PM
sounds like a whelk. remove it if you can find it as it will eat your remaining snails.

mallorieGgator
11/07/2010, 08:33 PM
Could be a whelk. You could also have a hitch-hiker mantis shrimp eating the snails and the other snail was just cleaning out the shell.

olemiss reb
11/07/2010, 08:39 PM
Could be a whelk. You could also have a hitch-hiker mantis shrimp eating the snails and the other snail was just cleaning out the shell.

A mantis would have smashed the shell, whelks use their proboscis to bore through the shell and eat while holding on with their foot. it's a whelk.

artemus
11/07/2010, 09:35 PM
I'm pretty sure you're right. Read up on whelks and definitely matches the description. I placed it in my sump and the only thing I keep in it are my hermits. Do you think they will be fine or any other problems it could cause me being down there?