PDA

View Full Version : help with chalice pls

mallorieGgator
11/07/2010, 08:27 PM
So, I've had my chalice for about a month now and it's had a hard time in my tank since I got it. I had it on hold in the LFS for about 3 weeks and it looked like it was splitting. ???? It already had two heads on it and one has receeding in the middle looking like it was splitting. So it's been regrowing that middle part in my tank with some tissue (irritated the LFS told me it was fine). The poor thing has been knocked over twice by a large crab in my tank. It was epoxied to the base of a rock close to the sand bed. I found it upside down one morning. Now, it's receeding on the edges and I can see the skeleton. It was receeding a bit when I got it but then regrew the tissue, was knocked onto the sand bed, and is now receeded again. :furious: Now it's just PO'ed looking and the color is changing. It had green eyes and red edges with a green center. Now the green center on one head is turning red and the eyes aren't as neon green. So, I saw to place it into the shade so I placed it under an overhang where it gets a little light. It's on the sandbed now but the coral itself isn't touching the sand bed. Tank params are:
55 gal w/ 20 gal fuge
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
pH 8.0
phosphates 0
temp 79-80
salinity 1.026
I have been having a difficult time keeping my salinity at 1.026 but I'm getting the hang of it now.
Also, my protein skimmer pump went out and I'm waiting on a replacement pump from reef octopus now.

So, if there is any advice you have to help me get my chalice nice and happy again, let me know. I also believe a crab may have been irritating it because I caught it eating my zoa today and pulled it out of the tank.

Thanks!

betamed
11/07/2010, 08:57 PM
Whats your CA and Alk? Its probably just irritated from being knocked over, but low CA or Alk can cause recession and slower growth.

mallorieGgator
11/07/2010, 09:23 PM
Ca is high around 500. I don't have an alk test kit yet. :( I know, I know...

mallorieGgator
11/08/2010, 09:36 AM
Anyone?

phish guy
11/08/2010, 08:12 PM
is it in direct light? mine like to be near a less intense light area.

mike_cmu04
11/10/2010, 12:48 PM
WIth your calcium that high i am guessing your alk is probably off get that tested it may likely be your problem.

mallorieGgator
11/10/2010, 01:14 PM
How do I correct the alk? I will get that tested today. :) Thank you.

Phish Guy- I read to put it in a slightly shaded area to help with regrowth of tissue so it's in a slightly shaded area. The other day I thought it was expelling zooxanthellae but I think it was just pooping because it doesn't look bleached.

aakinego
11/10/2010, 02:48 PM
If Alk is low you have two options. One is baking soda (sodium bicarb), the second is soda ash (sodium carb). Also test your magnesium. If the magnesium is low your LPS will not do well.

mallorieGgator
11/10/2010, 03:14 PM
Ok, I don't have those two tests but my LFS does and they'll do free tests for me. I'm going to have it tested today. I get my salt water from my LFS and they use bulk salt and I don't think it has the best amounts of trace elements in it. :( But I'll be getting my own RO/DI in January so I'll then be able to mix my own salt. I did kill alot of majanos and aptaisia with aptaisia x which is high in calcium so that could be contributing to my high calcium.