PDA

View Full Version : helppp low ph in my QT

Toke23
11/08/2010, 07:19 AM
i moved my hippo tang to QT lastnight and right now he is laying in the back of the tank breating really fast. the ph is low in it at like 7.5 how do i get that back up Water Change? Guna start today lowering salinity will that help with the stress i dont want it to die but things arent looking up.

Toke23
11/08/2010, 08:55 AM
i moved my hippo tang to qt lastnight and right now he is laying in the back of the tank breating really fast. The ph is low in it at like 7.5 how do i get that back up water change? Guna start today lowering salinity will that help with the stress i dont want it to die but things arent looking up.

dead

Tat2demon
11/08/2010, 09:32 AM
Sorry to hear that. :( Id keep some ph buffer handy for such problems.

Palting
11/08/2010, 09:58 AM
Sorry to hear that. For future reference though, might be a good idea to find out why the pH dropped so low. The tang was only there for a few hours, not even a day, right?You said you were going to start hypo, so it was still normal salinity. What were the parameters before the tang went in?

89Foxbody
11/08/2010, 10:23 AM
Seems like people forget to test their QTs as well as their DT. I'm not saying this is the case with you just saying in general. Just because there are no fish in there doesn't mean it's a static environment.

Sorry to hear about your fish.

Alysiak00
11/08/2010, 12:13 PM
stupid question but what kind of air transfer do you have in your qt tank. when i tore down my tank to slide it forward i forgot to leave a powerhead facing up. this caused one of my tangs to do the same thing.

cloak
11/08/2010, 01:06 PM
Here's a good article on pH.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2002/chem.htm

Toke23
11/08/2010, 01:59 PM
I was unprepared to do this i got flustered because i saw the fish getting sick and rushed the setup without doing much research on QT. Now that i think of it the tank is not set up correctly for a saltwater fish all i have is a whisper filter running for it and a heater. Should have done more research on my part, but we live and we learn.

Water parameters are solid in my display tank with the exception of my calcium being a little high (had it tested at the LFS) also just got my salinity right which probly caused the outbreak on the fish anyway. Didnt think about the salt not evaporating so everytime i topped my sump off i used mixed water rather than fresh that was my first mistake the second was using a hydrometer rather than a refractometer. Hydrometer said 1.026 which was right on target i read it with my newly purchased refractometer and it was at 1.031:thumbdown. Oh well got it right now and time to move on im still new to the hobby at only 3 months exp. definetly alot to learn.

aleonn
11/08/2010, 02:15 PM
Sorry to hear, we've all made similar mistakes and this hobby is a constant learning process. Thanks for sharing and reflecting, as this helps other new hobbyists as well.