PDA

View Full Version : peacock looking for a home

svynx
11/08/2010, 10:08 AM
Sadly, I must part with my peacock. She is 6" long. Very active/curious/attentive. She has molted 6 times for me with no problems. She lives with 1 damsel and a breeding pair of clowns. Never once gone for the fish, unless there was something wrong with them. If the fish was dieing for whatever reason, she felt it necessary to make it a quick one. I do not want to ship her. I'd be afraid that something would happen in transit. The tank is located in Columbia, PA 17512. It's hard to put a pricetag on her, but I think asking what I paid for her is reasonable. $50. As soon as I can get my camera back from my fiance, I'll post a few pics of her. Also, the other things in my tank are for sale if you would be interested. Here is the link to my local forum thread: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1930851

sjmantis
11/08/2010, 03:47 PM
Are sure you can't ship her, very interested

lionbacker54
11/08/2010, 03:53 PM
sorry to hear it joel. hope all's well.

Koshmar
11/08/2010, 04:27 PM
I had to do the same thing because of school, sometimes you just don't have the time. I hope you feel better about it because you're doing the right thing. It still doesn't make it any easier though, I know.

svynx
11/08/2010, 05:01 PM
Yeah, Koshmar. I've read a number of threads about someone having to give up their mantis. It does suck. She lives in my office, so I at least get to see her 8 hours a day. My work load has progressively gotten bigger, and with that my attention to her tank has been going downhill. I know that they can take quite a bit before they are uncomfortable, but she deserves to be in a well maintained tank with an owner who will take care of her. I was that owner for quite some time. Life has just taken over enough that I don't feel I'm doing her justice. I'll have another mantis sometime down the road.
sjmantis: I wish I felt comfortable with shipping her, but I don't want to risk it. I have never shipped livestock before, and I don't want to make a mistake with her. I wouldn't feel bad if I had to ship the damsel...lol.

fishysteve
11/09/2010, 10:35 PM
svynx - I'm sorry you need to find a home for her. Good luck.

fishysteve
11/10/2010, 05:40 AM
PM sent

svynx
11/10/2010, 09:33 AM
Mantis sold. I'll miss her. She has been a great companion, even though she won't let me pet her lol. It's funny how many people come into my office to see her. We have sales reps here quite often that have nothing to do with my part of the company coming in to spend a few minutes asking questions and looking. I guess it's because most people don't even know about them, let alone how interesting they can be. All well. I know I'll call another mantis mine sometime later in life.

fishysteve
11/10/2010, 01:00 PM
I promise I'll take good care of her. Maybe I'll get her a fire shrimp for Thanksgiving. :D

sjmantis
11/10/2010, 05:55 PM
Lucky!

fishysteve
12/13/2010, 11:24 AM
So she's been doing very well. Pretty active, but a little picky with food. All she wants to eat is fresh shrimp. I've tried silversides, squid, live clams, live mussels, and turbo snails. Either way, I'm going to order a new 48 x 24 x 14 acrylic frag tank for her in January when I get my bonus from work. I think she'll like that better.

Dana42078
12/16/2010, 03:15 AM
Got any pix fishy? My tank is nearly ready and getting excited!

fishysteve
12/16/2010, 04:57 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1427&pictureid=23965

Im working on the aiptasia.

twiggyb
12/16/2010, 10:21 AM
Ive been wondering lately, is aiptasia bad for mantis? Will it sting them? Im thinking about getting a N. wennerae for my 10g, but it's pretty aiptasia infested.

fishysteve
12/16/2010, 10:49 AM
I bought a new camera today so I will try to get some better pics. The aiptasia bother me more than they seem to bother her.

usatennisfan
12/18/2010, 01:37 PM
There is one giant aiptasia at the entrance to my N. wennerae's burrow. Doesn't seem to bother her at all.

twiggyb
12/18/2010, 06:23 PM
:lol: does that snail have an aiptasia growing on it or is it just an empy shell.

fishysteve
12/19/2010, 08:28 AM
No, it's on the snail.

Koshmar
12/19/2010, 01:52 PM
Aiptasia is near impossible to get rid of, your only hope is to keep it at bay. Next to some caulerpa species, tardigrades, and endospores they are some of the best survivors on earth IMO.

I had an aiptasia infestation that did not affect my mantids at all. But I would definately keep it under control. They are just one of those things people have nightmares over where you wake up in a cold sweat screaming AIPTASIA! MOMMY! In fact when chuck Norris goes to bed he checks his closet for aiptasia...

usatennisfan
12/19/2010, 02:48 PM
In fact when chuck Norris goes to bed he checks his closet for aiptasia...

If Chuck Norris was to see this all he would have to do is blink and his leg has an automatic reaction to roundhouse kick you in the neck, removing your head. After this he would clean it out and use your skull in his Mantis tank.

Koshmar
12/19/2010, 03:35 PM
Yeah but he'd still be checking his closet for aiptasia plus with the amount of aiptasia Ive dealt with I'd probably have some growing in my skull when he put it in his tank thus making him check both his closet and the tank.

usatennisfan
12/19/2010, 04:09 PM
Touché.

fishysteve
02/17/2011, 07:43 AM
My mantis molted for the first time the other day since I got her. Damn her colors are vibrant.

Krazy
02/17/2011, 10:12 AM
What does it take to help a mantis molt ? Anything special ? How often do they molt? I am new to the mantis scene... I have a 2.5 gallon tank with just a mantis and some rock in there... Curious...

Edit: just seen the molt thread at the top of the page ah duh... hehe