PDA

View Full Version : LED BUILD for 180gal.....questions questions

jimmyjames
11/08/2010, 04:09 PM
Hi everyone....
I am turning to the experienced and experts for help now....

I have posted the beginning of my 180gal tank build in the RC Reef Discussion forum....

I am posting here because I need help in building a LED fixture for the 180gallon tank that I am putting together. Will be a reef tank with LPS and SPS corals along with some friendly reef fishies...

The tank is:
180gallon Visio glass tank
6' wide x 2' deep x 2' high

The hood will house the LED fixture.

I have gone through the large amount of post and everything...but...i guess here are my questions below the LED's i am planning

1. CREE X?? whites
2. CREE X?? blues or royal blues?
3. Driver: Meanwells 60-48d?
4. Heatsinks: will be a combination that will fill up the 6' x 2' hood space
5. optics? at what degree?
6. current... white: ????ma blues: ????ma

- is there some kind of formula to figure how much lighting per gallon of water i will need?
- will covering the 6'x2' space with LED's be too much light?...if so, what would be optimal
- spacing on LED's? (i have read all kinds)
- percentage of blue to white?.. 50/50?

Any help would be very much appreciated. I will continue to post and follow up with pictures once things are ordered.

Thank you in advance.

ChicagoReefer88
11/08/2010, 05:03 PM
Hi everyone....
I am turning to the experienced and experts for help now....

I have posted the beginning of my 180gal tank build in the RC Reef Discussion forum....

I am posting here because I need help in building a LED fixture for the 180gallon tank that I am putting together. Will be a reef tank with LPS and SPS corals along with some friendly reef fishies...

The tank is:
180gallon Visio glass tank
6' wide x 2' deep x 2' high

The hood will house the LED fixture.

I have gone through the large amount of post and everything...but...i guess here are my questions below the LED's i am planning

1. CREE X?? whites
2. CREE X?? blues or royal blues?
3. Driver: Meanwells 60-48d?
4. Heatsinks: will be a combination that will fill up the 6' x 2' hood space
5. optics? at what degree?
6. current... white: ????ma blues: ????ma

- is there some kind of formula to figure how much lighting per gallon of water i will need?
- will covering the 6'x2' space with LED's be too much light?...if so, what would be optimal
- spacing on LED's? (i have read all kinds)
- percentage of blue to white?.. 50/50?

Any help would be very much appreciated. I will continue to post and follow up with pictures once things are ordered.

Thank you in advance.
I have heard people doing more blues than whites, I dont have any other else advise, although i will be checking back to see what people say because I plan on building one myself but much smaller. If I come across and good informative website or video i will send it your way! good luck!