PDA

View Full Version : Bubbling rocks

Palting
11/09/2010, 03:54 PM
My rocks started to produce bubbles about the same time as the diatom bloom a good several months ago. Now, the diatoms have come and gone, the algae bloom has come and gone, but the bubble production is still here! It seems to be related to either lights or temperature. No bubbles when the lights first come on, then it starts after the MH lights come on. As time passes and temperature rises, bubble production progressively increases. No algae or anything on the rock surface, just all these little bubbles. They form on the upper surface of the rock, then get dislodged either as they get bigger or by the snail, hermits or fish.

Will this stop, or is this the nitrogen gas production? Parameters are about as perfect as they can be.

Sk8r
11/09/2010, 04:06 PM
It's probably air and gases making their way out of the rock---or organisms setting up shop in the pores of the rock. Nitrogen usually doesn't appear in lots and and lots of bubbles.

cloak
11/09/2010, 04:22 PM
If it gets worse and worse as the photoperiod increases, then I would think it's just oxygen being produced through photosynthesis. As far as I know you don't really have to have an algae problem for this to happen.

Jstdv8
11/09/2010, 04:32 PM
do yuo ahve a deep sandbed?

Palting
11/09/2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys

The rocks have been under water with me for over 8 months. I assume all the air pockets have been filled. I do sort of think it's some kind of photosynthetic process, but I see no algae. Maybe some kind of organism in the rock, but I have no idea what.

No, I don't have a deep sand bed, Jstdv8. It's 2" max in depth.

So, I gather from your responses this won't go away anytime soon. It doesn't seem to be doing anything bad, as all the livestock including corals are doing well. It's just that I worked so hard to get rid of microbubbles from the sump. Got that fixed a while back, but now have rocks that make bubbles. Bummer. Guess I'll just have to get used to it.

lewk
02/15/2011, 02:28 PM
Any updates? Same thing is happening to me, no algae, but more and more bubbles as the day progresses.

Palting
02/15/2011, 03:38 PM
Oooh. Old thread.

If you are asking me for the updates, I still have rock bubbles almost a year since these rocks went into the water. I guess there may be a coating of algae or something because the rocks just keep getting multicolored patches when they used to be bone white when new. If I stare at them long enough, maybe I can see tiny fur covering LOL!!

Anyway, tank and livestock are thriving, so I just quit worrying about it.