PDA

View Full Version : New filter sock making skimmer go crazy

torero500
11/09/2010, 09:32 PM
It's been over 24 hrs now since I went to swap out a dirty filter sock with a new one...forgot to rinse it, and caused my skimmer to go crazy. Took it out after about 5 min. and put the old one back in. Running carbon and purigen to remove whatever it was that caused the problem, but skimmer still shoots bubbles straight up the tube and fills the cup with water in no time. How long is this going to last? What else can I do? Fish seem fine, everything in the tank doesn't seem to mind, except the skimmer.

jjstecchino
11/09/2010, 11:16 PM
I noticed the same thing.
I now wash the sock in ro water before using it.
What I did was to open up the valve on the skimmer drain to lower the bubble level for a few hours then the problem was gone

torero500
11/10/2010, 09:00 PM
I couldn't open it any more and it was still overflowing like crazy. I changed some water, took out the skimmer and cleaned it up, and it did overflow still but decided to keep collecting the full cups till it stopped...ultimately it stopped after 2 full faint brown skimmer cups over an hour's time and now it's running normally. Must have gotten out what it wanted to get out, now it's happy.

THE ROOK
11/11/2010, 06:41 AM
I always toss new socks in the wash with bleach only then air dry as you would dirty socks. No telling what chemicals are left on the sock

sedor
11/11/2010, 07:06 AM
How did you wash the sock? If you used bleach and water only and let it dry the bleach would have completely evaporated. Its actually a very reef safe product. Otherwise, it might just take a while for your skimmer to calm down. I remember I actually poured a bit of ReVive in my tank and my skimmer went nuts for about 2 days.