PDA

View Full Version : HOB units - do they affect structural integrity of the tank?

alaska clowns
11/09/2010, 10:58 PM
Particularly I'm wondering about a HOB refugium - I have an ecosystem. Could they potentially damage the structure of the tank?

aleonn
11/09/2010, 11:50 PM
Lots of people use HOB refugiums and skimmers without problems. To think of it, I haven't heard of any problems relating to display tank structural integrity, and wouldn't expect there to be any. All HOB units I've seen are pretty compact and don't weigh much either.

alaska clowns
11/10/2010, 12:40 AM
Thank you. The reason for my question is, I had to find a new tank because the center brace, as well as the frame on the back of my 55 gallon tank, are cracking. In fact, there is a 3/8 inch difference between the middle of the tank and its sides (so, a custom bowfront!). I suspect that the main factor is that the person I purchased the tank from was using 2 - 24" PC fixtures, both having an end resting on the center brace; I continued to use the lights for the past year instead of purchasing something new, but only recently realized that my tank is a ticking flood bomb.

So I wanted to be sure before I put the ecosystem on the new 65 that something HOB wouldn't contribute to a similar problem.

Thanks again!

aleonn
11/10/2010, 01:37 AM
Ah, good choice on getting a new 65 then! G/L with the new tank!

reeftanknewbie
11/10/2010, 06:25 AM
I have a 56 gallon column tank with a large HOB refugium and skimmer and have not had any problems to date. The integrity of the tank is maintained by the center brace and top/bottom frames. Glad to hear you are being proactive and getting a new tank before you have major problems.

joeychitwood
11/10/2010, 01:27 PM
I think you'll have less chance of a problem if the HOB device is near the corner of the tank rather than the center. I've not heard of a HOB fuge or canister causing a problem in a structurally-intact tank.

EastBayReefer10
11/10/2010, 01:35 PM
unless you are hanging more than 30lbs of equipment on the back of your tank you will be fine, the tank is already holding hundreds of pounds of water pressure, Most HOB equipment has little effect on the structural integrity of an aquarium.

aleonn
11/10/2010, 02:01 PM
I think it's a fair point about placing the HOB equipment more towards the corner of the tank for structural integrity. It shouldn't matter much though.

I place my skimmer at the corner because it's more convenient to access for maintenance. Plus I think it looks nicer there relative to my aquascape.