PDA

View Full Version : acrylic and bulkhead question for 180G

mikequick
11/10/2010, 06:42 AM
I was wondering if it would be ok to bond 1/2" acrylic sheets together to make a 72" x 24" x 24" aquarium (plexiglas-g) using weld on 4 WITHOUT using the "pins" method. I have done a lot of reading on this subject but I really would like to flush mount my corners without having to router the edges off after I bond the pieces together. I will cut my pieces very true with very smooth edges because I am using a commercial cnc router table with proper bits and will be bonding on a flat surface. I guess my only concern is the pressure being put on the pieces. Once I get my sides, front, back and top bonded, will that be too much pressure gluing my bottom on for the solvent to get into the joints (when bonding from the inside of the aquarium)?? Also, before I cut the sheet, what size holes and location (back or bottom) for water to and from my sump? I have not made my sump tank or stand yet so I have free range at this point to do the best method necessary for the water to flow out of the display tank and back into it from the sump. I look forward to hearing your suggestions and will definitely take pics along the way!

hebygb
11/10/2010, 08:00 AM
so much to say about this... First of all welcome to RC

Second... look for a response from member Acrylics or Uncleof6 regarding technique as well as several others whose names escape me...

For that size tank, 1/2" is too thin regardless of eurobracing. Sounds like this is your first aquarium build... look for advice from the afore mentioned members.

mikequick
11/10/2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the response. I have followed one of Acrylics and Melev's lengthy threads on the issue of using the pins to adhere the acrylic. I guess my main question was how it worked without using the pins. My goal was to get the acrylic in position, use the wo4, and let it sit. I do not want to pull the pins on a 6ft. edge with it moving ever so slightly and have to keep it 1/8" or 1/16" off the edge only to router the edge away later.

Regarding the 1/2" for this tank size it seems there are many opinions on this. As my layout is right now, the eurobrace top has 3.25" around the perimeter with 3 holes total and 6" between each hole (leaving 3 access holes that are roughly 17" x 17 3/4" each). I would definitely like to know if I am wasting my time with this setup.

Here is my layout for the tank. The Plexiglas is .455 thick. That is the reason for the odd numbers.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv200/koi1125/180GAQUARIUM.jpg

jeff@zina.com
11/10/2010, 08:54 AM
I'm not sure why you don't want to use pins, you don't have to move the acrylic and router edges to finish just because you spaced it with pins. You do need a very fine space for the Weld On to wick into, not sure how you'd do this with the surfaces flush or if there is enough space naturally.

Jeff

mikequick
11/10/2010, 09:02 AM
Yeah, that's my biggest question..I wouldn't mind using pins if I knew a method of using them with flush edges. That way if it moved a little I could just guide the edges flush again instead of trying to guide it with a 1/8" lip. If there is enough space naturally though, I would feel a lot better and safer doing it that way. I also haven't read anything on putting pins half way through from the outside of the tank, using wo4 from the inside of the tank to bond and pulling the pins from the outside of the tank. Maybe experienced members can chime in on this.

hebygb
11/10/2010, 09:12 AM
I have made several tanks and before that sculptures... The pins are not as necessary but help. The solvent is so thin, that it does wik in between the two edges, naturally the pins assure this. You would definitely want 1 or two assistants to help pull pins or flow the solvent for this tank. Your layout looks great but I would adjust and use 1" thick acrylic for the sides and bottom... 1/2" for the top.

mikequick
11/10/2010, 09:30 AM
Unfortunately, I already have the 2 sheets of 48" x 96" acrylic so that's my only option there. Worst case, I could always reduce size. What's my max dimensions for using 1/2"? Thanks for the reply.

hebygb
11/10/2010, 09:54 AM
I believe the only dimension that needs to be adjusted is the height... but probably more than you may be willing, keeping that length. The front and back panels are the ones that will bear the affects of volume/pressure of water. I would get a hold of Uncleof6 or Acrylics on maximum size for that thickness material. I would love to see their response.

mikequick
11/12/2010, 05:52 AM
Does anyone have experience using 1/2" for a 72" long tank? If so, how tall did you make it?