PDA

View Full Version : New 75 gallon

Reefman29
11/10/2010, 04:52 PM
Okay so like the title says, I am setting up a 75 gallon fish only tank. I was looking for suggestions on stocking. I don't really have any ideas yet so I am open to whatever. Thanks for the help.

bertoni
11/10/2010, 04:55 PM
I'd suggesting looking over the fish available on a few web sites, like LiveAquaria.com and others, or getting one of the booklets that covers a lot of fish, like "Marine Fishes" by Scott Michael. I'd be tempted to do have some small butterflies, since the tank won't have any corals, but that's just my preference. A small group of Assessor fish might work, too, although I'm not sure about that.

Stuart60611
11/10/2010, 06:39 PM
I'd suggesting looking over the fish available on a few web sites, like LiveAquaria.com and others, or getting one of the booklets that covers a lot of fish, like "Marine Fishes" by Scott Michael. I'd be tempted to do have some small butterflies, since the tank won't have any corals, but that's just my preference. A small group of Assessor fish might work, too, although I'm not sure about that.

+1. I think the best way to approach this is to first look at websites, such as live aquaria and blue zoo aquatics (which has more varied species list) and see what type of fish you generally like. I would then use a book or other information on the web to find out more about the fish, its behavior, and requirements. You then need to consider compatability and other issues which this forum can be a great resource. Also, nothing replaces actually seeing the fish in person so I suggest that you try to go to an LFS to at least see the species you want to keep to get a better idea of how they really look and behaive.

Generally, I see several commonly seen types of fish only stocking opitons appropriate in a standard 75. You could go with a scoprion fish/lionfish/waspfish/angler type of a tank. You could do a small semi-aggressive community, such as toby puffers, butterflys, clownfish, hawkfish, basslets/pseudochromis, damsels, dwarf angels, medium sized relatively peaceful wrasses or hogfish, and other similar fish. You could also do various eels, including a single aggressive small species, or a dwarf or snowflake (with larger tankmates). You could also do a single or at most two smaller aggressive fish, such as a single undulate trigger or huma trigger. In general, if you go with the community option, you want to keep semi-aggressive fish which max out no larger than 6-8 inches. Tangs are pretty much a no go, except perhaps for one of the smaller bristletooth species which really is not even appropriate.

tarvis
11/11/2010, 10:47 AM
Tomini tang is really cool but not really for an aggressive tank

Reefman29
11/11/2010, 06:49 PM
I just kind of threw a list together. I didn't really think about compatibilty. It was kind of a this is what i want. Feel free to critique. Here goes: an angel of some type, volitan lionfish, tassle filefish, cow fish, and a butterfly or several.

Stuart60611
11/11/2010, 07:02 PM
I just kind of threw a list together. I didn't really think about compatibilty. It was kind of a this is what i want. Feel free to critique. Here goes: an angel of some type, volitan lionfish, tassle filefish, cow fish, and a butterfly or several.

Angels and lionfish do not mix. Moreover, the lionfish you selected gets way too large for your system. Do some more reading. Unfortunately, there is just no shortcut to researching stocking options in detail. It does take a lot of time to do so, but the time spent pails in comparison to problems caused when selecting inappropriate fish. There are a lot of threads in this forum on stocking options. I would take a look at the last several months of the threads in this forum and read those concerning stocking options. I think you will learn a lot from doing so and be in a much better position to make wise choices.

bertoni
11/11/2010, 08:57 PM
Yes, that lionfish gets up to 15" long. The "minimum tank size" at some of the fish sites (names withheld) are a bit ridiculous, IMO.

Stuart60611
11/11/2010, 09:57 PM
Yes, that lionfish gets up to 15" long. The "minimum tank size" at some of the fish sites (names withheld) are a bit ridiculous, IMO.

With respect to your comment about the on-line fish vendors, I could not agree more. It realy angers me, and I spend a lot of time here on RC trying to help folks who make stocking decissions incorrectly based on this inaccurate information. Rather than vent here, it gets me so irate that I think I am going to start a thread on this very subject in the Responsible Reefkeeping forum.

karaim
11/11/2010, 11:56 PM
Angels and lionfish do not mix. Moreover, the lionfish you selected gets way too large for your system. Do some more reading. Unfortunately, there is just no shortcut to researching stocking options in detail. It does take a lot of time to do so, but the time spent pails in comparison to problems caused when selecting inappropriate fish. There are a lot of threads in this forum on stocking options. I would take a look at the last several months of the threads in this forum and read those concerning stocking options. I think you will learn a lot from doing so and be in a much better position to make wise choices.

There's nothing wrong with mixing angels and lionfish; the 2 are perfectly compatible, just not in a 75 gallon tank.

Stuart60611
11/12/2010, 12:06 AM
There's nothing wrong with mixing angels and lionfish; the 2 are perfectly compatible, just not in a 75 gallon tank.

I don't think so, especially with a volitan.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1920186